2nd Time Now *Hen gets lethargic, stops eating, and dies.

JenBirdRansom

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 23, 2011
Graham/Kapowsin, WA
I have a small back yard flock of mixed breeds of chickens and about a week ago a very healthy, 9 month old Barred Rock hen just hunkered down, quit eating, and then died. Now I have am Americauna hen who is doing it. They are all done molting, in perfect feather, big and strong.....then they just quit on me.

I don't see signs of worms, I use DE generously in the coop when I clean it, I feed quality organic feed as well as a block treat that is covered and dry.

Speaking of dry, it has been a total mud mess in the chicken run becuase in WA here we have had nothing but wet, wet, wet and more wet weather.

So, what else can I do? What else should I look for?

No labored breathing. No nasal discharge, some yucky poo but I don't think it's anything really horrendous. I checked the Poo Chart and no red flags there. Sometimes I see a poop that is NEON green but I have no way of knowing who's poo that it is.

Any help guys? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Enteritis is very common. It is sometimes called the greens, bluecomb, mud fever. Birds don't eat, they get hunched up, have diarrhea, and might be crop bound. It isn't contagious but is environmental. Muddy areas make it very abundant. Changes in feed can cause it too and outbreaks have been traced to wheat that has been harvested early (aka New Wheat poisoning). Birds dehydrate and the comb sometimes turns blue/purple. In a few days birds die if not treated quickly enough. That may be what is happening.

If the bird is crop bound, give two crop bound capsules morning and evening until crop is empty. After giving capsules squirt 10cc of water down the throat with a syringe to help capsules dissolve. Crop bound capsules can be had from certain companies like Wood Enterprises, Oakridge game Farm etc. Many people are opposed to cock fighting, including me, and these companies market product to poultry owners that many other companies do not have. When wanting to save a bird, it doesn't matter where you get the product. Every feed store should carry crop bound capsules in my opinion.

If you can't get crop bound capsules, mix 1 tablespoon of Epson Salt and 1/2 cup of warm water. Mix it and squirt 10cc down the bird's throat with a syringe. Massage the crop gently.

Get LA-200 (most feed stores carry that or a product called Bio-Mycin). Load up 2 cc in a syringe, and give 1cc in the breast muscle with a 25 gauge needle on a syringe. At the same time remove the needle and give 1cc down the throat. Do this morning and evening for 3-5 days.

I hope this helps. Let us know what happens. You can feed the bird if the crop isn't impacted, just make sure it is crumbles or something easily digestible. Vitamins/electrolytes in the water will help too. I like the Vitamins Electrolytes Plus by AgriLabs because it has probiotics in it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the fast reply! I appreciate it more than you know.....What would you suggest to put down in the run to get it to dry up some? Sand, gravel?

Last edited:
I have the same problem during the heavy rains. I ran drainage pipe 18" underground where the incline levels off in my yard. It helped but not enough. You can add soil to raise the level of the yard or dig a few ditches for water to run off before the onset of heavy rains. I don't know what you could use to get the soil more absorbent. I've thought about sand but when it rains really hard, I get a washout of my soil. I may put a retaining wall of 2"x12" boards in this Summer, on one side of the yard to deter water. I don't like gravel because it is hard on chicken's feet and you don't want to encourage bumblefoot.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention flock treatment. If you have a flock affected, lots of folks have success with BMD soluble (Bacitricin) and Neomycin. They take equal parts of each, mix it together well in a jar and give 1 heaping teaspoon per gallon of water for 10 days. Others have had success with Sulfadimethoxine powder at 1 teaspoon per gallon for 3-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom