2nd year laying hens? are they still good?

unclejohn

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
So someone is offering me 9 hens and 1 muscovy drake for 40 bucks. The hens are in their 2nd year of laying. Are they worth getting?

The hens are a mixture of sussex, wyandotte and amercauna. There is also 1 Buff orpington hen.

azelgin

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
S.E. AZ
Check your local Craigslist and see what people are asking for chickens, in your area. Where I live, that's not a bad price. I suppose you can always eat the duck. I'm not a duck owner.
If they're really only on the 2nd year, you'll still get a good amount of eggs out of those breeds.

Last edited:

Fancychooklady

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 14, 2012
Tasmania. Australia
So someone is offering me 9 hens and 1 muscovy drake for 40 bucks. The hens are in their 2nd year of laying. Are they worth getting? 

The hens are a mixture o[COLOR=444444]f sussex, wyandotte and amercauna. There is also 1 Buff orpington hen.[/COLOR]
2nd year layers are fine in those breeds. The production breeds are the ones that ' burn out ' after the second year. My Sussex and Wyandotte lay 4-6 years.

unclejohn

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
2nd year layers are fine in those breeds. The production breeds are the ones that ' burn out ' after the second year. My Sussex and Wyandotte lay 4-6 years.
oh really? okay perfect then. I was worried that they may be too old and would be done laying soon

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
Those girls still have a couple good years left. Each hen won't likely give you an egg a day, but my 2 year old birds seem to average around 5/week, give or take. Mine are hatchery Rocks, EE, Wyandottes, Welsummers, Reds and rsl.

I just sold over a dozen 2 year old birds for $10 each, so your deal sounds pretty good.

unclejohn

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Those girls still have a couple good years left. Each hen won't likely give you an egg a day, but my 2 year old birds seem to average around 5/week, give or take. Mine are hatchery Rocks, EE, Wyandottes, Welsummers, Reds and rsl.

I just sold over a dozen 2 year old birds for $10 each, so your deal sounds pretty good.
Oh really? Seems like the going rate around here too. I was just wondering why she was willing to sell them so cheap, i thought maybe they were old. Thanks for the reply!

Latest posts

Top Bottom