Hens are not laying!

Nov 6, 2023
I have 8 buff Orpington hens, 5 silver laced Sussex, and 4 americana hens, and one mystery hen. They are almost five months old, and none have started laying. I do have lights set up in the coop, so they get lots of light every day. When will they start laying?

They're not even 5 months old yet, give them some more time. In a month or so, they'll be ready. It's better to take longer to start laying anyway. Leads to a healthier reproductive life. Due to the time of year (yes, even with the light) they might take extra time

They're not even 5 months old yet, give them some more time. In a month or so, they'll be ready. It's better to take longer to start laying anyway. Leads to a healthier reproductive life. Due to the time of year (yes, even with the light) they might take extra time
Can I expect the first eggs around Christmas?

Possibly. Your girls will tell you how close they are to laying through their bodies. Be on the lookout for red combs and wattles, combs and wattles enlarging, squatting, things like that
I have a few hens with red combs and wattles. This hen has the biggest comb. I had a hard time getting her to cooperate with me when I tried to take the photo.:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    912.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom