1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2x4 Roost - Comfortable?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BawkinOnTheBench, Sep 23, 2008.

1. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I've read lots of places that chickens prefer the flat roost, and that it's better for cold climates, which we have. So this weekend we replace the 2" diameter branch we had with a 2x4, wide side up. But I'm wondering if the girls really like it. We have a monitor in the coop, and since we replaced it, I hear them moving all night long. Could they be uncomfortable? Should I put some sort of rough surface on the wood - it's pretty smooth.

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have several different size boards in our coops. Most all my chickens prefer the 4" side.
    I have the large Jersey Giants down to bantam Cochins and Silkies and I have roosts from tree limbs as round as my thumb on up to the 2" and 4" boards. Only the birds that get pushed off and can't find the right spot to get back on will sleep on something else.
    And of course, everybody wants the top bunk even though the other roosts are up just as high, they compete for that 4" top board.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine have a 2x4 roost and do just fine on it. Maybe yours were just shuffling as they got used to the new width.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Like getting a new mattress! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It probably just feels different. Chickens are not a big fan of different!

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Like a baby monitor?!?! :eek:

7. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Quote:Like a baby monitor?!?! :eek:

OK, so maybe we're a little paranoid and maybe our chickens are just a little bit spoiled!

8. NMbirds

NMbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Abiquiu, New Mexico
    Hey, that's not paranoid, just a little indulgent. I've heard of people with web cams in their coops so they can both watch and hear. Now that is going the extra mile! I am not that far along yet, thank goodness.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I am! [​IMG]

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Did you get your chickens to sign a permission before you wiretapped 'em?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by