2x4's for roost?

Mine are at 30", simply because that was the size of scraps I had around at the time. No ladder, but about 6' of horizontal space for them to flap down. If they didn't have this space I would provide a ladder or a couple of jumping down shelves or something. It doesn't happen real often, but chickens definitely do injure themselves coming off high roosts, especially when they don't have a lot of space by the roosts. I believe it happens more often to large roos. I really think they can get down from a hay loft without difficulty if there is space in the barn to soften their landing by flying down. Baby chicks can, certainly.

Mine are all at the same height because I read they will compete for the highest roost, which goes to those at the top of the pecking order. I didn't want to encourage this, but now doubt it makes much difference, as they're going to have a pecking order anyway.

There are a couple of places in my coop away from the roosts where they can sleep up off the ground, besides the nests. All are more or less the same height. Sometimes one or two will choose one of these spots for a while. When my last group of chicks got near full size, they were hanging around together, off from the group, and would sleep in one of these spots. One of the many advantages of extra space in the coop.

I don't think a roost can be too high. I built mine about chest-high (on a human) off the ground, but noticed half of them choose to roost up in the rafters of shed/coop instead. At first I wasn't too thrilled with this, but decided not to fight it. In my outdoor 'hoop house' (which I just completed last night....yah!) the roost are about 18" high.

Chickens love being higher in a tall hen house, but if they are overweight they can suffer from hemorrhagic livers and a high drop can cause internal bleeding (those "found dead today but were normal yesterday!" can be from this) and the occasional toe injury. Wild and lighter strictly layer chickens fly better than heavy meat or dual purpose hens who sometimes land with a thud. DID I mention I am a crazy obsessive pet owner???
gigglesmile.gif

Actually our hen house is only 4 foot high as it is 32' off the ground so 18" works great.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard that roosts more than 18" high can cause foot injuries. I've never had a roost that short, and never had any foot injuries with hundreds of chickens over the years. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that I'd never heard that.
hu.gif

I came across several articles (from what seem like reputable sites) while researching causes and prevention of bumblefoot that roosts should be no more than 18" high. Below is a link to an article that discusses this. The reasoning is that repeated jumping from heights can cause foot abrasions that can allow bacteria to enter the chicken's foot, especially in heavier birds. After dealing with bumblefoot in one of my hens, I'm not sure I want to take any chances.
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000779_Rep800.pdf

Quote:
I don't think I've ever heard that roosts more than 18" high can cause foot injuries. I've never had a roost that short, and never had any foot injuries with hundreds of chickens over the years. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that I'd never heard that.
hu.gif

I came across several articles (from what seem like reputable sites) while researching causes and prevention of bumblefoot that roosts should be no more than 18" high. Below is a link to an article that discusses this. The reasoning is that repeated jumping from heights can cause foot abrasions that can allow bacteria to enter the chicken's foot, especially in heavier birds. After dealing with bumblefoot in one of my hens, I'm not sure I want to take any chances.
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000779_Rep800.pdf

That's interesting. Thank you for the link.
Maybe I haven't had any problems with high roosts is that my chickens land on a 12" thick layer of straw on the dirt floor of the coop. Most of the breeds I have kept have been large to very large size (Orpingtons, Cochins, Wyandottes, etc) that don't fly well. They do spread their wings out and sorta glide to the floor. But I've always made sure there was plenty of room for them to do that.

2X4...1.5 side up. make sure edges are rounded. most modern 2X4 have rounded edges. but if using older lumber the edges can still be "sharp". if a chicken is left to roost a more natural way...they go for trees with small rounded branches....

i have a 2X6 jump board that is a mid way point in the ladder system. it also leads to the nesting boxes. it gets packed down with manure. thats another reason i dont care for the wider edge up. and id definitely would never use a board that is that wide for roosting.

Quote:
34643_100_0141.jpg

I have all 2x2 roosts. See 'My BYC Page'. I did mine 48" ht. They have 24" deep poop boards underneath at 24" ht, so they hop to those first, then up to roosts for night. Have had that since they first feathered out from chicks. Rafters are at 7 1/2 ft ht, and they never try to get to those. So, 4 ft does not seem too high for them. They just flutter down each morning. Do put roosts outside too. Make one a covered roost area soas to encourage roosting outside in rain. Makes coop stay cleaner and better-smelling.
cool.png

Last edited:
I don't think a roost can be too high. I built mine about chest-high (on a human) off the ground, but noticed half of them choose to roost up in the rafters of shed/coop instead. At first I wasn't too thrilled with this, but decided not to fight it. In my outdoor 'hoop house' (which I just completed last night....yah!) the roost are about 18" high.
This right here. I don't care that this thread is dead. Had to say I agree with this. My chickens like the very highest places they can get. Call it survival instinct if you want, but they are happier when they are higher up bc they feel safest. I have a very long ladder built in my coop that goes up to their 6ft high perch. No foot/leg issues so far (knock on wood).

I've seen authoritative sources that are split on this issue. It seems to be the great chicken roost debate.

A book I have (Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens) says 2x2's are ideal, and note that chickens like to grip the roost.

Most other sources I found recommended 4" roosts - saying that chickens really prefer to sit, rather than having to grip throughout the night.

Both points of view make sense, in their own way.

Turning the 2 x 4 narrow-side-up for strength would only be called for if your have a very wide span. I'm not sure how many chickens it would take to bend a 2 x 4, regardless of orientation.

I think a definitive answer calls for a federal study and a multi-million dollar grant! ;)

Seems like some Ag school might want to do a study on preferences. Maybe it varies by individual bird?

For height, Storey is consistent with most sources I've read in saying 24" is "ideal." In terms of replicating nature, not much predator protection at any lower than 24". Of course, our girls are plumper than their ancestors.

Back
Top Bottom