2yo hen never started laying! Help!

pixellette

Hatching
Nov 25, 2015
Okay so last year I got back into my chicken breeding and bought 3 purebred Orpington pullets from a breeder with alot of rep.
I got a buff (Beauty) a blue (Jasmine) and a black (Mulan). Beauty died a few months after getting them (For some reason whenever me or my sister try to get buff orpingtons they always die, while the blacks,blues and splashes survive). Mulan has been the perfect layer for me. However Jasmine, the blue, has not laid a single egg. She's now 2 years old.
Last year they were free range, and so I just assumed she was being sneaky and hiding her eggs somewhere. But now she's been in a reasonable sized cage since spring started and has not laid a single egg.
I've been feeding her everything I'm supposed to, she has clean water, a beautiful custom made hutch complete with fake eggs, sunlight, shade, she's the biggest hen I've ever seen and healthy as anything.... But she's never laid.
Which is driving me crazy because I chose all three hens (and their rooster) personally and thought I'd found the perfect breeding stock.
I'm heart broken because I don't want to get rid of her- but I can hardly have a hen that never lays. So any ideas would be welcome.

2 years seems to be a really long time to never have laid. While I really don't have any answers for you here are some possibilities that come to mind.

* Could be laying internally (Peritonitis)
* Could be defective ovary
* Could be stress
* Could be a really, really late bloomer

Does she do a submissive squat when you touch her back?

If they were bred for show, laying prowess might have been bred out?

If she's huge, she may have too much internal fat to lay?

Some birds just aren't wired right.

Back
Top Bottom