2yr old chicken loose poo

Thank you. This sounds like what might be happening.

Here's what I found:

How to treat vent gleet naturally

Bathing

• Bathe the affected chicken in a solution of warm water and apple cider vinegar (1 part vinegar to 9 parts water) to help reduce the fungal infection and soothe the affected area.

Topical Treatments

• Apply a topical antifungal cream or ointment, such as Nystatin or Canesten, to the affected area to help combat the fungal infection.
  • Apply a small amount of yogurt or probiotic powder to the vent area to help restore the natural balance of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.

Dietary Changes

• Feed your chickens a diet rich in probiotics, such as yogurt or probiotic powder, to help restore the natural balance of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
  • Add garlic to their feed or water to help combat the fungal infection.
Supplements

• Add apple cider vinegar to their water or feed to help reduce the risk of fungal infections.
  • Use a probiotic supplement specifically designed for chickens to help restore the natural balance of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.

Prevention

• Preventing vent gleet is always better than treating it. Keep your chickens’ environment clean and dry, and provide a balanced diet rich in probiotics to help maintain a healthy digestive system.
Heres what I did:
I put ACV in the water, put antifungal cream (active ingredient clomitrazal or something spelled similarly, for athletes foot) on my chickens butt every 12 hours, and bathed her with epsom salts every 48. She is almost better now. You dont have to follow this treatment, just what worked for me in case you want to do that.

Just a pinch of ascorbic acid or feed her some apple.

For how long will you be gone?

Try to deworm her using one of the above mentioned dewormers to make sure there are no internal parasites depriving her of nutrients or even obstructing intestines and/or oviduct.

After deworming you can feed her/all your chickens Moro carrot soup to help restore a healthy gut balance.
How many days should I give her the calcium citrate 600+D3 please?

Give her a warm soak in epsom salt water to clean off the gunk at it can lead to deadly fly strike.
Dry her well with clean towels and trim the butt fluff so tbe droppings will not get stuck so easily.

When did you last deworm?
I have this in my supplies. I think this is the correct item

Attachments

• IMG_8050.png
    IMG_8050.png
    394.9 KB · Views: 2
This was while washing her a few days ago. Yes, I forgot to put my gloves on; which won’t happen again…
We're on day 3 of epsom soaks, with no signs of anything moving on her. Spraying the Vetericyn wound spray, after each soak.

What are my next steps? I have triple antibiotic ointment on hand, but not sure what I should be doing.

Will the spot of skin that was eaten away, grow back or scab over?

I want to be sure to be doing what is best for her. She is inside the house in a kennel. How long should she be kept inside? What signs should we look for, to know when we should return her to the coop?

Thank you

Attachments

• Gem fly strike day 3.jpg
    Gem fly strike day 3.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Gem.PNG
    Gem.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom