My girl is loosing weight and has diarrhea

chickelittle

Hatching
Jul 22, 2022
My Sapphire Gem had really bad diarrhea and was loosing weight. She was lethargic, stopped laying and kept away from the rest of the flock so I fed her yogurt, kale and meal worms and put electrolytes in the water. She’s doing better and is back to laying eggs but her poo is still very messy and she still hasn’t gained much weight. Now my Barred Rock has diarrhea. She has lost some weight but is still acting ok and is still laying.

I feed Nutrena Layer, they have access to grit and oyster shell. I feed them grub worms once or twice a week and seldom feed treats. They are about 15-18 months old. They have a large run that is close to being free range. I keep their coop clean and bedding changed regularly. Picture of Gem was when she was sick and the poo picture was last night. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20230526_192103.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230526_192103.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_7169.jpeg
    IMG_7169.jpeg
    936.6 KB · Views: 11
Have you ever wormed them?
No. I didn’t know you need to worm chickens. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and googling but I didn’t see that. Do I get something to put in their water or is it something in their feed? Obviously I’m a newbie

No. I didn’t know you need to worm chickens. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and googling but I didn’t see that. Do I get something to put in their water or is it something in their feed? Obviously I’m a newbie
It's a medication that you give them orally, safeguard paste for goats.
Though, it might not be worms but it wouldn't hurt to do.
What's your birds diet?

It's a medication that you give them orally, safeguard paste for goats.
Though, it might not be worms but it wouldn't hurt to do.
What's your birds diet?
I feed Nutrena Layer, they have access to grit and oyster shell. I feed them grub worms once or twice a week and occasional treats. They also get kale and spinach from my garden.

Try deworming them and provided extra grit for them, it could just be that she's eating something her stomach dosen't agree with. Keep an eye or their combs and see if it looks shrunken or paler than usual. Hope this helps :)

My Sapphire Gem had really bad diarrhea and was loosing weight. She was lethargic, stopped laying and kept away from the rest of the flock so I fed her yogurt, kale and meal worms and put electrolytes in the water. She’s doing better and is back to laying eggs but her poo is still very messy and she still hasn’t gained much weight. Now my Barred Rock has diarrhea. She has lost some weight but is still acting ok and is still laying.

I feed Nutrena Layer, they have access to grit and oyster shell. I feed them grub worms once or twice a week and seldom feed treats. They are about 15-18 months old. They have a large run that is close to being free range. I keep their coop clean and bedding changed regularly. Picture of Gem was when she was sick and the poo picture was last night. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Just a thought - have you seen any signs of fowl mites-primarily out at night when they prefer to feed?

Back
Top Bottom