3 1/2 week old chicks are eating black rooster

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, May 27, 2011.

1. Fritatta

Fritatta Chirping

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    bummer! thank you for looking - I was going to on my next trip to TSC.
    My TSC has on the basic chicken stuff. I live on the edge of suburbia, I would think that they could do very well with a larger chicken product selection. Hope they do.

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Just wanted to say that is one heck of a thread title. Thought you had some monster roo eating chicks! [​IMG]

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I also thought it was cannibalism of some sort of masochistic rooster...but, I wanted to say that my momma birds encourage the chicks to eat the feed I make vs. the usual crumbles, so I don't even use anything else anymore.

My feed has 7 whole grains, BOSS, and crimped peanuts, corn, and peas (Austrian, Maple, and Canadian). There is also 18% UltraKibble and lots of other goodies. They do well, and as long as I include grit, I don't worry. Even Silkie chicks flourish on it, so I assume your feed is similar and they should be fine.

I get mine made up by the half-ton at the mill, and will share the recipe if anyone is interested.

Edited to add pic. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  4. Fritatta

Fritatta Chirping

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    that looks good enough to eat!

Stupid question: do you put in whole BOSS or just the nut meats?

5. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Not a stupid question. Whole seeds. They do fine with them.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That looks very similiar to the Black Rooster. The BR smells like licorice? I think it's the molasses they include. Smells and looks good enough to put in a bowl, add some milk and eat.

The only reason I don't include grit is because the chicks are free ranging with mama. I have seen the mama's dig up some "grit" and offer it to the chicks.

And of course I intentionally titled this thread the way I did. Got your attention didn't it? [​IMG]

7. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:That looks very similiar to the Black Rooster. The BR smells like licorice? I think it's the molasses they include. Smells and looks good enough to put in a bowl, add some milk and eat.

The only reason I don't include grit is because the chicks are free ranging with mama. I have seen the mama's dig up some "grit" and offer it to the chicks.

And of course I intentionally titled this thread the way I did. Got your attention didn't it? [​IMG]

I love the title! I actually said, "WHAT??!?" out loud!

Manna Pro feeds smell like licorice, too- I think it's anise or anise oil. It's in the Calf Manna supplement, too. I love the smell. I add cinnamon, cayenne, dried minced garlic and turmeric to mine, plus molasses, extruded dates and dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, etc.) and quinoa.

It really could be tossed in a pot and simmered to a great meal!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Quote:I would love to have it.. Please.
    you must have alot of chickens to feed to get it made up in the 1/2 ton. I have 33 chickens as of now 8 ducks with 3 on the way and a goose. I usually buy 100 lbs. of feed at a time, what I would be concerned about is keeping it fresh with molasses and the spices would i have to worry about spoilage? it's pretty hot and humid now, I do put DE mixed with red clay earth in my feed to help keep it fresh.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  9. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I would love to have it.. Please.
    you must have alot of chickens to feed to get it made up in the 1/2 ton. I have 33 chickens as of now 8 ducks with 3 on the way and a goose. I usually buy 100 lbs. of feed at a time, what I would be concerned about is keeping it fresh with molasses and the spices would i have to worry about spoilage? it's pretty hot and humid now, I do put DE mixed with red clay earth in my feed to help keep it fresh.

PM me your email addy and I'll send it. It's a spreadsheet and you can enter in the amount you want and it'll figure the amount for everything for the mill.

The molasses keeps indefinitely, and the whole grains actually spoil less readily than milled flour or cracked grains. Since most are whole and the cracked ones are very low in moisture, the only thing I'd worry about would be the peanuts...after a year or so! If it's kept dry, it's good for months.

The spices will lose their effectiveness over time, but not in a harmful way...just a costly loss in beneficial contents.

I looked up the Black Rooster and other products...I asked if they can ship Red Rooster here, and at what cost. I'd love to get a bagged feed that didn't require me driving 20 miles to a mill and bringing lots of stuff out...looks like good products!

10. KenK

KenK Songster

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Flint River Mills "Gamecock Conditioner" seems similar to the black rooster feed, for anyone in the southeast who maybe interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: