3-4 w. old chick not eating/drinking

Sorry for bumping, but it is drinking the sugar water I gave it, but still will not eat. It is continually closing its eyes and shaking.

I really don’t want another chick to die

Not sure, I bought feed from store, not sure if medicated forgot to ask.
There was some trace of orangey red in the poop though :///

If you can get some buttermilk for them , it will put a lining on their stomach till you get some amprolium . Be very careful about syringe feeding . It is very easy to aspirate a chicken. Just a few drops at the end of the beak and give them time to swallow . You can buy amprolium online at little valley poultry supplies. Keep some on hand, this kind of thing always happens on a Sunday.

If you can get some buttermilk for them , it will put a lining on their stomach till you get some amprolium . Be very careful about syringe feeding . It is very easy to aspirate a chicken. Just a few drops at the end of the beak and give them time to swallow . You can buy amprolium online at little valley poultry supplies. Keep some on hand, this kind of thing always happens on a Sunday.
Where can I get amprolium from in Sydney?? The place I brought the chickens from does not sell it. I’ll try to get some buttermilk by tomorrow but Im scared it won’t make the night.\

EDIT: can it have normal milk instead?

Last edited:
Where can I get amprolium from in Sydney?? The place I brought the chickens from does not sell it. I’ll try to get some buttermilk by tomorrow but Im scared it won’t make the night.\

EDIT: can it have normal milk instead?

Buttermilk would be better, but if you can't get any milk should slow it down. Amprolium is sold at produce stores, usually where you buy cattle and sheep supplies. It is a thiamine blocker not an antibiotic , there are several poultry suppliers on line.

There is a place at Windsor called " farm services " they have amprolium 200 , 100 grams for $26.50
Their number is 0245774056
Thanks a lot I’ll check it out ASAP

I’ve fed it some milk and it seems to be kinda sleepy and is closing its eyes and chirping softly, like before.
It’s almost 10 so I have to sleep and just hope it survives the night.

It seems to like drinking water.

Its poop no longer contains blood but is very watery and has white stuff and some brown solid

Thanks a  lot I’ll check it out ASAP

I’ve fed it some milk and it seems to be kinda sleepy and is closing its eyes and chirping softly, like before.
It’s almost 10 so I have to sleep and just hope it survives the night.

It seems to like drinking water.

Its poop no longer contains blood but is very watery and has white stuff and some brown solid

Keep it warm and hope for the best.

Not sure, I bought feed from store, not sure if medicated forgot to ask.
There was some trace of orangey red in the poop though :///
It could be Coccidiosis. If you don't have some already, get some Corid(Amprolium), either powder or liquid. The dosage for the liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon, and for the powder it is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. Give Corid for five days.

Back
Top Bottom