3-4 w. old chick not eating/drinking

albert7777

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 2, 2013
Australia
The baby chicken used to be extremely active, pecking at everything and eating and drinking a lot, but today it ate a fly alive and it doesn’t seem to be eating much food or drinking much water and is continually sleeping.

I had introduced some newer chickens today, but it looks like sickness is unlikely because all the chickens come from the same place.

Please help :/

Thanks.

Aristopet have a product called " Sulphadim " for control and treatment of ceacal coccidiosis and enteritis in birds. It contains 70 mg/ ml sulfadimidine. You can buy this product at most pet shops in the bird section for around $6 . Do you have these chicks under a lamp?

Before we jump on OP about maybe they shouldn't have chickens.......

OP is probably a kid who does not have his own money to spend on chickens that really belong to the whole family.

JMO
Fair enough, but taking care of chickens properly is not inexpensive like many think. Heck, even the cost of running in a proper heat lamp isn't cheap.

-Kathy

I say find a local breeder and ask to borrow some meds. I have given amprolium, Sulmet, Safeguard and Baytril to locals before, maybe there is someone there that could do the same. Anyone with poultry, cattle, sheep or goats will probably have something that will work.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I am new with chickens but, it might be a good idea to try to tempt it with some warm mash. Maybe it could have been poisoned bay the fly? If you think that this is the case you can try a flush to get the toxins out of his system.
Hope it gets better soon,

I am new with chickens but, it might be a good idea to try to tempt it with some warm mash. Maybe it could have been poisoned bay the fly? If you think that this is the case you can try a flush to get the toxins out of his system.
Hope it gets better soon,
How do I flush the chicken??

I have given it some sugar water it is eating a bit

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this, mine has a bad eye but is completely acting normal. Must be terrible to watch, I wish I had some advice but my only idea would be to make sure that you get some sort of food into the chick so that whatever was in they fly (if it is that) is diluted. That is how you deal with any food an animal shouldn't eat so I figured it is at least something you can do until you have some additional help.

I have found syringes without the needle are great for getting animals to eat what you want them too. Not very fun but at least you know that whats going into the chick.

By the way I have seen my chooks seek out flys...and of course they have been fine...must have been something wrong with it...or is it possible it's stuck somewhere?

Maybe some soft food might dislodge it if it is?

Anyway, these suggestions are truly that, just wanted you to have support.

Good Luck,
mwat

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this, mine has a bad eye but is completely acting normal. Must be terrible to watch, I wish I had some advice but my only idea would be to make sure that you get some sort of food into the chick so that whatever was in they fly (if it is that) is diluted. That is how you deal with any food an animal shouldn't eat so I figured it is at least something you can do until you have some additional help.

I have found syringes without the needle are great for getting animals to eat what you want them too. Not very fun but at least you know that whats going into the chick.

By the way I have seen my chooks seek out flys...and of course they have been fine...must have been something wrong with it...or is it possible it's stuck somewhere?

Maybe some soft food might dislodge it if it is?

Anyway, these suggestions are truly that, just wanted you to have support.

Good Luck,
mwat
I have tried doing that but it won’t put its mouth open when eating, I can manage to make it drink

This is what happened to my last chick :(

I know it's yucky but you have to force the mouth open, not the most glamourous thing...but they do forgive you. Has this happened just recently to another chick? Could this be nothing to do with the fly?

Back
Top Bottom