3.5 month old EE. Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sherwoodchicks, Aug 28, 2013.

1. sherwoodchicks

sherwoodchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Southern California
    This is my 3.5 month old EE Cupcake. We are new to owning chickens and have been told she appears to be a hen. But, she's started to crow! Not a full crow but a very, very loud crow-like sound in the mornings. I've heard that hens sometimes do crow.
    [​IMG]

We have a rooster and Cupcake squares off with him. She rules to roost! I'm guessing we have another rooster on our hands but we are confused. Is cupcake a Roo?

2. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    Based on the red patches on the "shoulders" and the saddle feathers growing in, it looks like a boy! Hope it works out okay. :)

3. walkingcrow3

walkingcrow3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Crowing is a sure sign of a rooster. The saddle feathers are also a sign of one too. Most of the saddle feathers are usually pointier but they seem more rounded on the one shown, doesn't mean it isn't a roo though. All of my roosters are always "squaring off" and practicing to be roos. Actually I have 7 roosters living together with 16 hens and they all grew up together. However they are leaning towards 6 months old now and must be taken out shortly. I have built a new enclosure for the roosters to hang out in. But yes, looks more and more like a rooster you have there.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is absolutely a rooster.

5. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Cockerel.

6. RedPulletMama

RedPulletMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    100% rooster you have there

7. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Trust all of us, miss cupcake is now mr cupcake! ROOSTER

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    100% rooster (no doubt about it)

9. sherwoodchicks

sherwoodchicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Southern California
    Thank you all for weighing on on this. We were able to re-home our Mr Cupcake to a nice ranch this weekend. It was hard but it's nice not to have early morning crowing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by