3.5 month old EE. Hen or Roo?

sherwoodchicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
Southern California
This is my 3.5 month old EE Cupcake. We are new to owning chickens and have been told she appears to be a hen. But, she's started to crow! Not a full crow but a very, very loud crow-like sound in the mornings. I've heard that hens sometimes do crow.

We have a rooster and Cupcake squares off with him. She rules to roost! I'm guessing we have another rooster on our hands but we are confused. Is cupcake a Roo?

Crowing is a sure sign of a rooster. The saddle feathers are also a sign of one too. Most of the saddle feathers are usually pointier but they seem more rounded on the one shown, doesn't mean it isn't a roo though. All of my roosters are always "squaring off" and practicing to be roos. Actually I have 7 roosters living together with 16 hens and they all grew up together. However they are leaning towards 6 months old now and must be taken out shortly. I have built a new enclosure for the roosters to hang out in. But yes, looks more and more like a rooster you have there.

Thank you all for weighing on on this. We were able to re-home our Mr Cupcake to a nice ranch this weekend. It was hard but it's nice not to have early morning crowing
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom