3.5 Week old chick's bottom beak is misaligned with her upper beak and is leaking saliva. Not sure what to do PLEASE HELP

BlueberryTart

Hatching
Jun 13, 2022
Hello, it's my first time signing up on this forum, and I came here hoping to get help.

My 5 week old reed flower chick was always super lively and had a normal beak. After we let them run around with the other chicks outside today, my dad noticed that its beak seemed to not be aligning as it used to. When I picked her up to have a closer look, a small puddle of clear liquid that looked a lot like saliva drippled out of her mouth. She still pecks at her food, but is not as lively as she used to be.

We always have someone looking after the chicks when we let them roam around outside on the dirt, so we're pretty certain that no predators has gotten to them. The chick was still very lively right before we put them back inside their homes.

I have no idea how this happened, and I don't know what to do to help her.

I have attached some pictures below. As you can see, her bottom beak is not aligned at all with her upper beak. I apologize for the blurry pictures, but she didn't like being picked up for the photos and we didn't know if we were hurting her when we did pick her up.

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1024.jpg
    IMG_1024.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 9
Definitely a cross-beak, although I wanted to offer some hope. One of my top hens has a brutal crossed beak, I'm talking two completely different directions, and with a few adjustments she's thriving. When I discovered her beak was crossed, I started making certain to buy crumble and soak it first, like a mash. She's learned to be very effective with her lower beak for scooping, her upper for hooking. She's managed to keep it worn down pretty well on her own, although I've been told that crossbeaks need their beaks trimmed. Like a parrot! "Pettin' Chicken" is my partners name for her, because she's super friendly and so smart!!
There are birds whose beaks cross naturally, my Father's a biologist. He was the one who encouraged me to keep her, now I'm so glad I did!! Good luck!
Soft food and deeper dishes, she's going to have a very difficult time picking up food from the ground. ♥️♥️♥️

Back
Top Bottom