3.5 wk old Cochin mix looks like Edward scissorhands tried to pet him!! Is it normal?!

Helens_Hens

Chirping
Feb 14, 2022
So I have a 3.5 wk old bantam Cochin mix, he looked normal earlier this week. But I have always noticed what looks like 2 bald spots on his back. Well today I starting noticing a huge difference. He looks so crazy. His feathers look broken and sparse. You can't see from the photo but he has several feathers that look like they were just snipped off or broken. They are super short I have a camera set up in the brooder and I haven't noticed any pecking or anything. All his other hatch mates look fine they are feathering out beautifully. Is something wrong with him. He looks like he got into a fight. With a weed eater.

And the weed eater won.
All joking aside it has me worried. Should I be? Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
Picsart_22-04-22_20-40-10-644.jpg

Also want to add he still has no tail feathers,. Not sure if he is. Slow feather grower, but his mom was a black bobtail Cochin bantam. Not sure of the father he was in a bantam pen with several breeds of bantams. The silver duckwing OEGB seemed to throw most of the chicks I got though 🤷🏻‍♀️

Down is delicate stuff. On some chicks it gets very mussed and matted. This is temporary and nothing to worry about as long as the chick is behaving and eating normally.
He eats great. Thank you. I was hoping it was just his ugly awkward teenage stage lol.

So I have a 3.5 wk old bantam Cochin mix, he looked normal earlier this week. But I have always noticed what looks like 2 bald spots on his back. Well today I starting noticing a huge difference. He looks so crazy. His feathers look broken and sparse. You can't see from the photo but he has several feathers that look like they were just snipped off or broken. They are super short I have a camera set up in the brooder and I haven't noticed any pecking or anything. All his other hatch mates look fine they are feathering out beautifully. Is something wrong with him. He looks like he got into a fight. With a weed eater.

And the weed eater won.
All joking aside it has me worried. Should I be? Any advice or insight would be appreciated. View attachment 3074896
I have a cochin and brahma doing the same thing....and have in past years for some reason it's always the feathered feet she will turn out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom