3 and a half week old chicks FIGHTING!!!

Chiquitita6

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
I have been raising 6 chicks for 3 and a half weeks now and have always thought that the boldest one was a cockerel. He(?) has pecked me and ran at me and is the largest with the longest tail feathers.

This afternoon he has started really pecking/ fighting the other chicks which has resulted in some minor cuts. I have removed him and put him in a box with a microwaveable heat pad, food, water etc. and am about to move the other chicks so that they can see each other (although he doesn't seem that bothered).

My question is will he be okay on the microwaveable heat pad through the night or should I put him back with the others to sleep tonight? Also what shall I do going forward is this it now or will I be able to reintroduce them?
(I should mention these chicks are being raised with the intention of going back to the farm at around 6-8 weeks and the farmer did say he will take them back at any point if there was trouble etc.)

That looks like it is in your house. At 3-1/2 weeks and feathered like that he probably doesn't need any heat in your house. I assume your thermostat is in the 70's Fahrenheit?

By posture alone I'm really sure that is a boy.

This afternoon he has started really pecking/ fighting the other chicks which has resulted in some minor cuts.
Some fighting is normal at that age, even between girls. But cuts and bleeding is bad. It doesn't always happen but if they see blood sometimes the other chickens start pecking at it. If there is no blood and no raw red meaty wounds it's not that big of a deal.

So what if he is distressed, he's been a bad boy. I have had some success isolating a chick for that type of behavior. The chicks were two weeks old and being raised by a broody hen. One killed a sibling by pecking at its head and then started pecking at another sibling early in the morning. When I saw what was happening I put him by himself all day, away from the broody and all the other siblings. He was not happy, was loudly complaining all day. That night I put him back with the broody and the other chicks. He behaved after that, but I was down there at first light to see how he was going to act. Sometimes isolation doesn't work but it did that time.

I'll try to clarify. To me fighting is no big deal as long as one isn't seriously injured. It's not a big red flag. What happened with mine was not fighting, he just stood there pecking at the other chick's head to try to kill it. Pure murder. A big difference.

If the other chicks are getting injured, get rid of that boy, don't try too hard too long. Always solve for the peace of the flock, don't let one chick endanger that.

Sorry not the best pictures but hope this helps. The farmer didn't tell us what breed they were I wonder if you or anyone knows?
Since posting this it has definitely become a lot more distressed about not being with the others despite the fact that they can now see each other.
I can't tell if they're bantam, or large fowl, but look similar to Game Bantams if they are Bantams.

Wish I can get better view of the combs.

Crowding can cause abit of conflict. How big is the cage, over all?

That looks like it is in your house. At 3-1/2 weeks and feathered like that he probably doesn't need any heat in your house. I assume your thermostat is in the 70's Fahrenheit?

By posture alone I'm really sure that is a boy.

Some fighting is normal at that age, even between girls. But cuts and bleeding is bad. It doesn't always happen but if they see blood sometimes the other chickens start pecking at it. If there is no blood and no raw red meaty wounds it's not that big of a deal.

So what if he is distressed, he's been a bad boy. I have had some success isolating a chick for that type of behavior. The chicks were two weeks old and being raised by a broody hen. One killed a sibling by pecking at its head and then started pecking at another sibling early in the morning. When I saw what was happening I put him by himself all day, away from the broody and all the other siblings. He was not happy, was loudly complaining all day. That night I put him back with the broody and the other chicks. He behaved after that, but I was down there at first light to see how he was going to act. Sometimes isolation doesn't work but it did that time.

I'll try to clarify. To me fighting is no big deal as long as one isn't seriously injured. It's not a big red flag. What happened with mine was not fighting, he just stood there pecking at the other chick's head to try to kill it. Pure murder. A big difference.

If the other chicks are getting injured, get rid of that boy, don't try too hard too long. Always solve for the peace of the flock, don't let one chick endanger that.
Thank you that's a big help!! First time chick owners here so appreciate all the advice we can get.

What breeds?

Females can be aggressive too, it's not a male specific trait.

Pictures of the chicks, plus the one in question will help too?
Sorry not the best pictures but hope this helps. The farmer didn't tell us what breed they were I wonder if you or anyone knows?
Since posting this it has definitely become a lot more distressed about not being with the others despite the fact that they can now see each other.

Attachments

• IMG_7121.JPG
    IMG_7121.JPG
    395.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7193.JPG
    IMG_7193.JPG
    544.4 KB · Views: 42

Back
Top Bottom