3 Breeds of hens and ALL stopped laying at same time-it's been almost 4 months! Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by renee37, Feb 2, 2013.

1. renee37

renee37 New Egg

Feb 2, 2013
    I have 2 Brahama hens and a rooster, a Rhode Island Red and an Americauna. They were laying great all summer and then in October they all started to moult at the same time and quit laying. Haven't seen an egg since and it's February now! Is this normal? I live on Vancouver Island, BC. We tried adding hours of daylight for about 3 weeks in Decemeber but nothing happened so we stopped.

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    I would increase their light time again. Mine have been laying with additional light since I added it in October, but some are still moody and not laying so well.

3. Jarrett Dobbins

Jarrett Dobbins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    North Carolina

Along with adding more light, I would suggest you add more heat, meaning put an old heater inside the coop. During the colder months, chickens slow down their laying cycles due to the loss of daylight and some feel uncomfortable laying in the cold. I added a light and heater to my coop and the laying cycles of my chickens started back to its healthy ways again!

4. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I run 14 hours light per day, on at 4 am off at 6 pm I have got eggs all winter with no heat, but the winter here has been very mild.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by