3 Chickens and a duck pass within a Week

Nessa13ist

Hatching
Dec 17, 2022
So my family has just gotten a new flock of chickens. I’ve had 2 white leghorns pass days apart, 1 bantam chicken and 1 mallard duck pass. We don’t know what is causing these sudden deaths. Our duck and bantam died overnight on separate nights. However our white Leghorns would become very lethargic and fluff their feathers out and stand in one spot, they would walk but they looked very weak. We got our entire flock from an Amish auction and don’t know if it came with a set of chickens or if it’s the cold or what’s going on. Any ideas?

Do you still have any of the bodies? I strongly recommend sending one or more of the dead birds to get a necropsy done, to make sure they don't have AI or another deadly contagious sickness.

Do you still have any of the bodies? I strongly recommend sending one or more of the dead birds to get a necropsy done, to make sure they don't have AI or another deadly contagious sickness.
Yes we have one that passed this morning we had separated her from the rest of the flock when she started getting more lethargic. Thank you I will look into what I need to do to get that done

So my family has just gotten a new flock of chickens. I’ve had 2 white leghorns pass days apart, 1 bantam chicken and 1 mallard duck pass. We don’t know what is causing these sudden deaths. Our duck and bantam died overnight on separate nights. However our white Leghorns would become very lethargic and fluff their feathers out and stand in one spot, they would walk but they looked very weak. We got our entire flock from an Amish auction and don’t know if it came with a set of chickens or if it’s the cold or what’s going on. Any ideas?
Welcome To BYC

How long have you had them?
Where are you keeping them?
What are you feeding them?
How cold is it where you are?

Please post photos of the birds, their poop, what their housing is like and if possible the feed tag label.

Do you have an existing flock of chickens/ducks or is this all new to you too?

Back
Top Bottom