3 chickens in 3 days

It may be a predator reaching through the wire, but it really looks like cannibalism to me. They need more space.

It may be a predator reaching through the wire, but it really looks like cannibalism to me. They need more space.
Yikes. This looks awful. Why do you say it looks like cannibalism? Any time I've had a chicken try to kill another chicken (only 3 times, thank god) the injured chicken has been scalped. Have you had a chicken take out the back end of another like this?

Generally when a predator grabs/kills a bird through wire, they go for the head as the bird approaches the wire out of curiosity. It would be very unusual/unlikely for a predator to grab a bird by the anus through the wire.
Coons will go for the tail feathers. Other chickens usually go for the top of the head, and the back, like @cottontail farm suggested.

OP, sorry if I missed you saying it but is this happening during the day or overnight? If it's night time I would absolutely blame a raccoon grabbing a tail and trying to pull a chicken through the wire. If the daytime, no clue.
Ok, I just saw you were in town. What time of day?

Back
Top Bottom