3 chickens in 3 days

So sorry for your loss. If you have a camera put it up and that will probably solve the mystery then you can form a plan. If it's a predator it will keep coming back. Good luck...

I actually see what looks like one live orange chick in your photo that looks like his feathers around his tail are pecked out and plucked.
Pecking in this case would lead to calabilism starting in the back end area.your chicks are crowded and to hot. They are fully feathered and no longer need a heat lamp. Get them out of that brooder and into a coop and run where they have more room and other things to occupy there time besides picking on each other.

Once they draw blood they will keep pecking at the areas. The chicks don't look crowded. Don't think you need a heat lamp. If you want a little heat, try a regular lower wattage incandescent bulb. That appears to be a 250 watt. Try a 125 watt. If any of the survivors have any spots I would spray the places with blukote. It has an antiseptic and will discourage pecking. At least it has for me in the past. If you have a camera, I would put it up to rule out a predator and at the same time watch the chicks. Good luck.

Just a wild thought, could this be coccidiosis or any other disease which is causing the pecking?
They don't look that crowded to me.
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
I agree, they don't look over crowded. I like your thought on the disease though.
I really have no idea of the cause, but to my memory I don't know of any disease that would cause that.

Hopefully the OP can get a camera up. Consider covering the chicken wire with hardware cloth, close up the gap in the lid and place some rat traps around? I don't know if it's a predator or if they are picking at one another.

Hopefully the OP can get a camera up. Consider covering the chicken wire with hardware cloth, close up the gap in the lid and place some rat traps around? I don't know if it's a predator or if they are picking at one another.
Ditto Dat.

I'm betting lesser weasel or rats.....easy for them to get thru the holes in the chicken wire.

Yes, I changed it. if it was a Weasel it would have killed them all.
While we can recognize standard MO's.. we cannot presume anything.. an animals could be disrupted during their kill. Or they could have learned a new behavior.

Dogs will usually kill the whole flock to.. but not always.

Turkey vulture has been seen attacking a LIVE chicken.

Opossum has been shot eating a full grown live chicken.

Cats.. usually go after moving targets... kill one, eat it, and done... in MY experience.. another member said they have it on camera with a cat on a killing spree.

What I wonder about.. as look at those photos.. is the flesh in the first photo shows some irritation around the whole site.. looks like it would have taken place before death?? Is that the one with the wing ripped off?

They are in a brooder box, nothing has penetrated the wire, there is no lifts, tears, nothing wrong with the box at all. There is a small crack where the lid closes
It looks like a nice custom brooder.. well thought out and usable.

ALL my chicks would be dead and gone if I left that on my patio long enough to be accidentally discovered.. When they were younger they didn't put out as much smell or sound.. Now they've been there long enough to attract curios hungry minds.. that have discovered an easy chicken dinner..

The predator will be back until every one of them is gone.. UPGRADE your security now.

1/2 inch hardware cloth or bust for me.

A chicken is NOT IMO, capable of ripping another chicken wing off.

I'm not above throwing out a layer of flour to see foot prints.. If I don't have access to a camera, better wire or other security, trap, etc..

Hope you get this resolved.. and NO more losses.. Hang in there! :fl

A nice chart. It doesn't mention coyote or owl.
Coyote = pretty much the same as a fox.
Owl = pretty much the same as a hawk.
WhatKilledMyBird.jpg

Back
Top Bottom