3 culled feed store chicks. . .

cici_p

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
. . .are now in my brooder!

Chick one (japanese bantam, I think) is very lethargic, has difficulty walking and seems to fall to one side when trying.

Chick two (polish) is a little less lethargic, chirps at me when I hold him, has some difficulty walking and when trying to seems to walk more on his knees than his feet. Will occasionally peck at something when I am holding him but hasn't eaten in the brooder.

Chick three I am more worried about, seems to act more "neurologic", can't stand and falls over backwards when moving, with a head thrust forward. I am starting to worry that this chick could have a disease (of course did not think of this when bringing it home)? Are there any like this that a chick this young could have?

The other two seem more like weak hatches, with some hope for recovery. I have had them at home for about four hours now and have not seen them attempt to eat or drink. Should I attempt to "force feed" them? Chick two (the polish) get fairly energetic when I hold him and talk to him.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wow. First, I would try and get some vitamins and electrolytes or sugar water into them. They should be eating and drinking at this point and that could be the problem. Sav a chick or poly vi sol without iron would be great. If not, a tbsp on sugar in a quart of water might help. Use an eyedropper and drip some into the little beaks. Put it under the tongue or drip into the side of the beak. Do not try and squirt it down their throats as this will drown them.

Crumbled hard boiled egg yolk is a great starter food. Or, you can mix some starter with water and make a mash that you can also feed to them. Right now, try and get some liquid into them and see if it helps.

Last edited:
Ok, great, that was what I thought I should do. I mixed some electrolytes and honey in some water and dipped their beaks in. They actually seemed quite grateful the first few times, but after a few times pulled back. The little polish chick will peck at my hand when I hold him, but not at food.
I am just not sure if they are lethargic because they are exhausted from all the stimulation of the feed store, and I should leave them alone for a while, so if it means they need more energy through food/water. I noticed a lot of the chicks at the feed store were completely sacked out, so I also don't want to wear these guys out more with too much handling.
I think I will let them rest a little bit more and then try some more of the liquid mixture. I am really hopeful for two of them; the third does not seem to be doing well at all.
Should I be worried about a disease or contaminate? I am washing hands, etc, but don't want to contaminate my eggs when turning them, or chicks when they hatch.

So I just fed them all a mixture of vitamins, electrolytes, honey, and water with a syringe. Chick number one (japanese bantam) did not think this was a good idea at all. I think she spit a lot of it out, but I tried about 15 minutes later and I know she swallowed some. Now she is chirping at me happily when I hold her.

Chick number 2 (polish--I am calling him sir charles)--went on a total sugar high! After I put him back in the brooder he began grooming himself (fell over a few times, but was able to re-right himself) and then went all around the brooder pecking for food. I spread scrambled eggs and chick starter all over the brooder, and he pecked up a bunch, then went over to the water and drank some. Oh, and he let out a big poop. he he
wee.gif

Chick number 3, the one who kept falling over seemed extremely grateful for the mixture. I didn't use the syringe, just stuck her beak in, and she drank and drank and drank. Then when I put her back in the brooder she actually hopped a few steps forward instead of falling backwards!
ya.gif
This is a huge improvement after watching her do this neck thrust/fall over backwards every time she tries to move. She seems much more content now. I am actually feeling somewhat hopeful for her.

And now little number 1 (the japanese bantam) is sitting on my lap trying to walk and happily chirping.

I think they are all doing much better!
fl.gif

And I totally haven't looked in my incubator for over an hour now, so this is just the distraction I needed to leave my eggs alone for the next three days and let them hatch!

Miraculously, number 3 (who was thrashing and convulsing) is now walking normally and slurping up water/food mixture like crazy.
Lttle polish is still weaker than /i would like but will walk around, peck at food and drink water.
Little number one died in my hand last night.
hit.gif

That really put a damper on things, so now I am more worried about the others.

You are doing a great job!!! You got these poor little guys when they were already sick and weak. If you can save two of them, you have done really well!!!

So sorry about chick #1..she was just too weak.

Keep force feeding the little polish, making sure he is getting enough food and water. I think he will make it :)

Chick #3 doesn't surprise me. I brought a silkie chick home from a feedstore that was actually having seizures. I got some electrolytes and vitamins into her and she grew up healthy and strong! Water is very important to these little guys and without it, their little bodies just go haywire.

Good luck with the rest, keep us posted!!!

Just came home to check on them.
They still seem very droopy and tired, but of course I don't know what they have been doing all day while I am gone.
The little polish still seems weak, so I gently syringed some more water/electrolytes/honey into him.
The other one is actually the strongest now and just slurps up the mixture when I put her beak in.
I am still concerned about how weak and tired they seem. Would like to seem them running around more, but at least they can both walk now and seem to know where the water and food are.
I just don't know if they are actually eating any.
Anything else I should be doing?

Back
Top Bottom