3 culled feed store chicks. . .

I had a chick that I had to "nurse" this way for over a week before she was finally strong enough to feed and water herself without my intervention. Now she is the biggest, best hen of the flock! So don't give up!

The only other thing that I can think of is if they got coccidia at the feed store. I have purchased chicks that before that I had to treat. I don't think it would hurt them to treat them just in case. If they have it and you don't treat, it will surely kill them.

They both seem much better tonight!
Both of them are going to drink on their own and pecking at the food.
The little polish will "follow" me to the food bowl when I play in it with my hand and just peck away.
The other little one is doing more pecking at things like plastic and bowl edges, but she is not acting hungry any more,
so I think she must be managing to peck up something. . .
I am definitely feeling more hopeful with them.

Worried about them again.
Last night little polish was running around like crazy, eating and drinking, acting like a normal chick.
This morning seems very lethargic.
I know it is normal for chicks to sleep some, but don't they usually wake up and act energetic again whenever prompted?
I went ahead and gave them both some more water/honey/electrolytes, but I am going to be gone for 12 hours at work today, so
am really concerned about them.

Last night when I came home the one that I thought was the strongest had died.
I don't understand. When I left they were both eating and drinking.
Now I just have the polish. I don't understand why they will thrive for a while and then just plummet.
I don't know what to do, and really don't want to lose the last one.
I have not seen him eat or drink on his own for a while. He will sit and peep at me until I pick him up then fall asleep.
I am "force feeding" again.

I'm so sorry :( Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, we lose them. I still think I would treat for coccidia...you have nothing to lose by doing it and it just might save the last one.

Your little polish is going to need a friend. You might want to try and find a couple chicks the same age for him to be buddies with. In the meantime, you could give him a small stuffed animal or a feather duster to cuddle with...

I hope he turns around and you can save him.

How do I treat for coccida? I am already feeding medicated food and he was getting this at the feed store.
What else should I be doing?
Is it contageous to other chicks?
I have some just starting to hatch today.
Thanks!

You treat with corrid. You can find it at any feed store. You put it into their water. It is contagious but only through the droppings so, you new peeps will be fine.

I have the same exact thing happening with some week old bantams from TSC. 2 out of 6 have died and a few of the rest seem lethargic. I have more chicks in with them from another source and they all seem fine. I'm confused as to what might be the problem. The last chick to die seemed totally fine last night.

Back
Top Bottom