3 day old Button Quail chick CROWING!?!?!- WITH VIDEO Recording of it!

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Yep...just about 15 minutes ago my 3 day newly hatched Button Quail was caught crowing!!! I know exactly what the noise sounds like as I have a male Button quail outside (with a hen). I was watching a movie when he started so at first I wasn't sure if he was really crowing or if i was hearing things...I put the movie on pause, and sure enough he was crowing! He and I actually had a crowing battle after that for a good 3 minutes!!! So i guess after all me calling it a "Him" since he hatched is pretty appropriate!!! Has ANYONE ever had a quail chick crow this young???

I didn't think it was possible yet....and yes there is NO way I was just hearing my other button quail outside, for one it's dark outside and he's probably in his shelter part sleeping, and 2. I can't hear him from the house the hutch is far up near the woods. I was sitting only 4 feet from Pippin (my chick) when he started crowing so deffinatly 110% him.

He's crowed since I was typing this out as well though when I went to record it one of my dogs slammed a bone in their crate and scared him...I'm going to keep trying to get it on film.

weird!! LOL!

Edited:::: Just recorded him! You'll hear me whistle at him, and he "crows" right back, then I whistle again and he first does a single whistle, then his crow "wee woo" LOL! After that it's just me whistling couldnt get him to "crow" anymore no matter what i tried.
smile.png
His second crow you can actually SEE that its him doing it. LOL this is crazy...unless it's common and I just never read about it! LOL Is it????

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i538.photobucket.com/player....bucket.com/albums/ff341/quailgal/MVI_1455.flv">

or

I've nver put a video on here so im nto sure if it will work if not heres the direct link:

http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/quailgal/?action=view&current=MVI_1455.flv

Last edited:
Quote:
lol I whistle, then he whistles "crows", then I whistle again, he starts to whistle, stops, and whisltes "crows" a second time...then after that it's just me whistling some more trying to get him to do it again lol. He's been doing it all night now it's fun whistling back at him.
smile.png

Quote:
I know! if someone *told* me they could, i'd have rolled my eyes at them... I wouldnt expect any young bird (THAT YOUNG) to crow....seesh! LOL! He's so happy about it too, it's adorable...I'm glad it's a male, since they seem to live a little bit longer than the hens with no laying eggs.

I wonder if him being a singleton is making him express himself more....not sure but makes ya wonder.

Oh yes, that did occur to me- being alone does make them more social I think. I had one that had bent feet, and was picked on by the others. She had to go in her own brooder. I carried her around for hours, and she would make the cutest noises, like questions and happy cheeps. As soon as she went in her brooder she would cry and cheep loudly for me. Wish I had kept her separate, but she healed and went back to the rest to become afraid of me again.

Next batch I am keeping one out to tame for me :)

Mine are four days old right now, but they all live together and I would feel bad taking one from mom. So happy together.

My next clutch should hatch the 25th, if it hatches, and I will adopt one of those- if I have time!

Quote:
awh that's awesome and cute!!!! I look at Pippin and get sad because I eventually want him to pair up with a hen (or a few) and he'll probably not be as friendly then...but the breeder informed me (after seeing Pippins pics) that he's a very rare color combo so I"m really excited to use him in breeding. He's a Splash/golden pearl. The breeder actually seemed urked that I hatched out one of her rareities and she hasnt even been having any luck lately hatching out any normals ha ha. Hey, I basically spent $5 for Pippin seeing as the other 9 didnt hatch. LOL.

So what colors do you breed and do you ever ship eggs?
wink.png

I am a hobby breeder, just started this spring. This is my first natural clutch!

Having seen the way the eggs sit around for a week before being sat on, I think shipping should not be a problem.

I would love to see a better pic of the color of yours. Mine are cinnamon paired with a pearl male, and normal with a pearl male.

The chicks look like 5 normals ( though I think some are blue faced), I have spotted cinnamon blue faced, cinnamon blue faced double factor, possibly a pearl, and I am pretty sure a cinnamon pearl blue faced!

Time will tell though. Color is my next thought- I will keep the lighter ones I think.

I am taking 4 to be sold- I think I will take the normals as I have that already, if not blue faced.

Quote:
woahhh! I want some blue faced (or mixture) from you sometime those are gorgeous!!!!!! (hatching eggs i mean, i'd be too scared to ask for live chicks or adults haha).

And heres a picture of Pippin today, best pic I could get of him. I read that splashes normally don't look too splashy at hatching but as they mature they start showing more splashness in them. It's hard to see in the picture but he also has gorgeous red red lines going down from his head to his back it's probably a normal color but i think it's really pretty lol.

IMG_1478.jpg

Back
Top Bottom