3 day old chick not eating

Megalodon

Chirping
Sep 11, 2021
Hi guys,

I have a 3 day old barred rock chick which is refusing to eat or drink unless I physically make it. It is able to stand, but prefers to sleep and does not run around like my other chick. Its chirps are quite weak, is there anything I can do?
So far, ive given it sugar water and egg yolk.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks

How is it's crop? Soft, mushy, hard? Empty in the morning?
How is it's poos? Anything look bad, bloody?
Is your heat source adequate to cover all the chicks? Is this one possibly getting too cold? Is it's belly soft and squishy? Check it's navel to see if there's any signs of infection where it absorbed the yolk.
Chick are very fragile things and some can just fail to thrive. It may be a genetic or incubation issue where something's not quite right too.
Let us know any other symptoms you notice and we'll help how we can.

The poop is green and bubbly, maybe because it hasn’t been eating much? I just googled the “crop”, is that the one organ in the chest of the chicken? I’ve never heard of a chicken crop before haha sorry! The place where the umbilical cord was is dried and a but hard, and its belly is kind of squishy. Temperature of the brooder is 35-36.5 degrees Celsius.
Thanks for your help!

The poop is green and bubbly, maybe because it hasn’t been eating much? I just googled the “crop”, is that the one organ in the chest of the chicken? I’ve never heard of a chicken crop before haha sorry! The place where the umbilical cord was is dried and a but hard, and its belly is kind of squishy. Temperature of the brooder is 35-36.5 degrees Celsius.
Thanks for your help!
You mention the belly is squishy. Could it be mushy chick? It's an infection they get in the navel/yolk sac. If you can post some pictures, that would help a lot too.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/omphalitis/omphalitis-in-poultry

image.jpg
image.jpg

This is my first time having chicks, but have been googling a lot.
If it is mushy chick, what can I do?
If it isn’t, are there any other food combinations i can give him?

thank you so much for your help!

If u want to start cleaning
Here’s some steps:
1.bring cotton swabs and olive or coconut oil.
DONT had the chick upside down as foam will leak out of its mouth.(my chick was affected with pasty butt and her beak leaked with foam when I was cleaning it)
2. Gently move the swab up and down on the vent while applying oil.Make sure to apply oil on the vent and try to gently clean it.There’s sometimes a big blob stuck inside.This allows to stick all the droppings together and if nor cared for unfortunately the chick won’t thrive.u can trying rubbing the tummy slowly to push out the blob but try not to stress the chick.
Hope it helps
Good luck!

image.jpg

Just realized I didn’t include a picture of the vent, it looks clean though and isnt blocked. He does poop, but its bubbly and green.
Definitely mushy chick?
I hope this doesn’t sound rude but I just dont want to make any rash moves.
i’m so grateful for everyone’s help!

Back
Top Bottom