3 day old chick, scratching its head off, HELP, (BLOODY PIC!!!)

I have 16 chicks as well and one started scratching his head both sides like crazy at times. He is five days old and the only one doing this. Some say it may be the new features coming in? Just odd how he is the only one doing it. He cries frantically when doing this and rolls on his back in distress. I emailed my hatchery and they do not have a clue as to why. Ruled out ear mites since they are indoors and nobody else has this problem..just really odd..

omg I just posted about this same behavior last night!
he.gif

That is exactly how my chick was behaving. (doesn't have the sores ((yet))) hopefully not. Have you noticed any change or figured out what is causing it?

No, it is a total mystery.. odd also that so far I have read you, and the other one with the wounds with the same thing as well.. odd also how the hatchery (with more than 10 years raising chicks) has no clue (they said looking at the video they never saw anything like that) and others say the same as well..
Mine has these episodes that come and go. Yesterday, she had no episode all day. Tonight it is lasting half hour and does not seem to stop..I feel terrible seeing her acting this way.. when this happens she is not interested in any thing surrounding her and seems to be becoming weaker and weaker.....I am wondering if chicks get seizures.. I posted a video of this in another post.. I wish somebody knew what it is so at least I can do something! I searched online to no avail, books, asked experienced chicken owners but nobody has a clue. Will keep looking and post if I find anything..

My chick had a full recovery,
I marked it with a leg band and cut it off at about 6 weeks old
It stayed with the group and never did it again.

just a thought on this- could you bathe her or put some anti itch cream on the area that is bothering her- like you would for a baby?

I went to the farm store today and they gave me a non toxic all natural ''poultry protector'' in case they have mites (bty, another chick started this awful scratching too). I find it odd to be mites since they were mailed from the hatchery and then went straight to my home, but he said sometimes baby chicks come with them from the hatchery..any idea which anti-itch creams would be safe for use on baby chicks?

Last edited:
the way to find mites would be to set them on a paper towel for a few minutes and see if any red dots show up- as far as an anti itch cream- maybe a hydrocordizone spray? i'd have to check though and see if its safe- be back in a few

Back
Top Bottom