3 day old chick sick or not??

timtamkiwi

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 27, 2008
hi guys im new to this site
big_smile.png
so bare with me lol

ok we have chickens at home and they are free range. one of the hens disappeard for 2 weeks and then popped up yesterday with 11 babys. the hen herself is just over a year old and this is her second lot of babys. her first lot she had 6, 2 died. this lot she has had 11, she has 6 with her at the moment (although i reunited one with its mother about an hour ago so must go check how thats doing) i know 1 has died(i found it in with the other chickens) and 3 have gone missing. now the other 1 i have inside as it was the first one i found alone. it seems to be doing well (i think?) it seems to sleep ALOT, is always lieing down(i cant stand up), it is always chirping away, it has done 2 poopies(i know since they were ON me) and the only way it drinks it if i put its beak into water and i cant get it to eat(i have the adult food soaked in water an mashed up, is that ok??).

last night it seemed to purk up a bit and it was walking around a bit(manly to try and get back into my hands) and it was also drinking by itself. but this morning it seems to want to sleep all the time and its breathing through its beak(is that normal?) and its back to only drinking if i stick its beck into the water. what do you guys think i should do with it? keep it inside and handrear it or let it die? im all new to this stuff soo help would be greatly apreciated(spelling??)

ok i know have 2 babys, the one that i reunited before has got left behind, it didnt keep up.

Constant cheeping in a chick means one or more of the following, generally

It's cold - is it with the mamma (under her) or if not, needs a heat source like a heat lamp, etc.

It's hungry - sounds like you have food there...

It's thirsty - again, sounds like you have that covered

It's lonely - provide another chick or two for company, OR a stuffed animal if it's alone.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the babies

Welcome! I would just hand rear it and get some chick starter if you can as the calcium in layer can be bad on the developing chick. As for cheeping, arlee's got the basics down. Make sure it is warm enough and gets attention as they are social animals.

You come to a great place to find info, and there is no need for a vet if nothing is wrong with it. It just needs some TLC, food, water, and basic care from you to live.

Hi there everyone, I'm new to this site but it sure is a good one! Very helpful.
smile.png

I just wondered if anyone had any luck with raising a sick baby chick...I have one at the moment and my family are chicken newbies.
We lost one before after trying to nurse it back to health, however it was badly deformed when we took it to the vet so it may not have been our (un)help.

The latest one (2 days old) sits apathetically in its box and keeps its eyes closed. Sort of flops about hopelessly too. However, as soon as you leave it peeps loudly so it seems to have a bit of spirit. Pick it up and its little legs push against your hand, so there's some strength there. We're warming it up with a lamp, giving it some sugar water (though not sure what to feed it??) and gave it a soft toy friend.

Do any of these chicks pull through? there are a lot of sad stories where they don't and I wonder if anything we do will help..

Any hints or tips would be fantastic. I think I've tried everything already on this page, I just wonder if there's any hope for the poor little guy.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom