cestrada_

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2022
Hi, i have a 6 day old Serama chick with so many tiny bugs. This is my first time dealing with this since i just started raising chickens last year. I did not realize the parents of the chick were infested with these bugs until the chick hatched, which i also did not know was going to happen until i heard little chirps. I took it away from the mom and put it in a brooder to prevent it from getting infested like the mom, but i’m noticing that it is getting worse for both sides. What can i do to help the chick since it’s very tiny and young? And what should i do for the parents?
*I just bought poultry dust that has permethrin, how can i use it? What are other great fast working products?

Another issue: the chick had a sibling a day after it was born and i put them together in their brooder but then it passed away suddenly 3 days later, so now it’s lonely. I tried to reunite it with its mom but she pecked at it. What can i do to help it feel comforted and not so lonely?

I’d say yes, I have dusted chicks with mites before and they were perfectly fine. I would just sprinkle a little dust on their backs and under their wings and gently rub it in.

Awe poor thing. Hope she can get rid of them.

Unfortunately without her being with the mama for a few days (and some hens just don't have it, the mothering ability) you may end up just raising her as an orphan. If you have a Rural King nearby you might check there to see if you can get her a couple chick flock buddies so she has others to cuddle with and get acquainted with. It doesn't sound like the mama will take her back, and it's not healthy to raise her in isolation. Another thing you could do (if you have room) is put her in a small /med enclosed crate w/ her own food and water and put her in your chicken pen like that (as long as it's sheltered enough for her) where she can be around the other chickens but that can't get to her (even if it's only for a few hours a day as long as she's warm, and as long as you have their (and her) mite situation under control) and return her to the brooder @ night. This will also help them get used to her over time so you aren't introducing a total stranger into the flock when it comes time to integrate her in a few months.

Im now noticing that the chick is very unbalanced and would fall easily. Does that happen when they have mites? And it’s eyes have a tired look, but it chirps and is active. Is it possible that it’s not getting enough food or water?
It is currently eating medicated chick starter and i put probiotics/electrolytes in the water. I can’t really tell if it’s eating/drinking, unless i personally give it water, but when i try to give it food it won’t eat it at all. I also tried wetting the food but nothing.

Awe poor thing. Hope she can get rid of them.

Unfortunately without her being with the mama for a few days (and some hens just don't have it, the mothering ability) you may end up just raising her as an orphan. If you have a Rural King nearby you might check there to see if you can get her a couple chick flock buddies so she has others to cuddle with and get acquainted with. It doesn't sound like the mama will take her back, and it's not healthy to raise her in isolation. Another thing you could do (if you have room) is put her in a small /med enclosed crate w/ her own food and water and put her in your chicken pen like that (as long as it's sheltered enough for her) where she can be around the other chickens but that can't get to her (even if it's only for a few hours a day as long as she's warm, and as long as you have their (and her) mite situation under control) and return her to the brooder @ night. This will also help them get used to her over time so you aren't introducing a total stranger into the flock when it comes time to integrate her in a few months.
Thank you! I feel bad buying a chick buddy since this one has mites and i do not want it to get them too.
I could put it in the area by its parents but my problem is trying to make sure it’s warm since it’s no where near an outlet to plug in it’s heat lamp.
I always bought chicks from the store and never had an issue raising them (since i always got pairs) until one hatched. I really do not want it to pass away, and it worries me how it’s acting (it’s unbalanced/wobbly and would fall over easily), especially because of how tiny it is.

Sounds like it's shutting down. There is failure to thrive in chicks. It could also be reacting to the effects of the mites, since they do feed on blood, it could be suffering from a little anemia. Do you have any poultry drench?

A broody hen with a couple of mites but managable can become totally infested while she sits. Maybe they do not keep up with thier dust bathing and other personal hygeine when sitting. I'm wondering if it would be a good precaution to dust the hen and whole nest after she has been on it for a week.

Thank you! I feel bad buying a chick buddy since this one has mites and i do not want it to get them too.
I could put it in the area by its parents but my problem is trying to make sure it’s warm since it’s no where near an outlet to plug in it’s heat lamp.
I always bought chicks from the store and never had an issue raising them (since i always got pairs) until one hatched. I really do not want it to pass away, and it worries me how it’s acting (it’s unbalanced/wobbly and would fall over easily), especially because of how tiny it is.
How's your chick doing?

Im now noticing that the chick is very unbalanced and would fall easily. Does that happen when they have mites? And it’s eyes have a tired look, but it chirps and is active. Is it possible that it’s not getting enough food or water?
It is currently eating medicated chick starter and i put probiotics/electrolytes in the water. I can’t really tell if it’s eating/drinking, unless i personally give it water, but when i try to give it food it won’t eat it at all. I also tried wetting the food but nothing.
Poor thing! The electrolytes are a good idea. Feeding a little chopped boiled egg might be good for her as well, she might like it better.

Back
Top Bottom