3 day old chick with slightly watery black poop

tofutop

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2015
This chick recently hatched a few days ago and it's been feeding on instant oatmeal, since we're still looking for chick starter feed. He had access to clean water and food at all times. There were a few times we thought he had pasty butt so we got rid of it. However his poop has been getting progressively darker and less watery, and is now black/close to black. It's also quite thick. The chick does not seem lethargic and was running around a while ago. Is this a cause of concern? It's the only chick, so we're very worried
sad.png

I've looked at the website on the different types of normal poop, but they do not really look like this chick's poop from my perspective.
We'll be grateful for any input! (sorry for the upside-down picture)

i have seen this before... oatmeal would not be a good food for chicks. if you cant find chick starter you could just buy bird seed till you can find some.. but keep looking for chick starter.. if this chick keeps eating oatmeal which is makeing it have black poo then it could lead to. well i think you know what i mean........ you could even find chick starter on amazon.ca or amazon.com it ships faster then ebay.

if you still cant try feeding the chick REALLY SMALL pieces of bread. hears a pic

The only thing I can really say about this is you need to get chick starter food right away. It is currently not getting its nutritional needs met at all. Not being harsh, just concerned. Any local feed store will have starter feed. If you truly can't get out to get it then make some scrambled egg for it. Make sure its cooled off before feeding. Protein and vitamins are essential in the early weeks.

i have seen this before... oatmeal would not be a good food for chicks. if you cant find chick starter you could just buy bird seed till you can find some.. but keep looking for chick starter.. if this chick keeps eating oatmeal which is makeing it have black poo then it could lead to. well i think you know what i mean........ you could even find chick starter on amazon.ca or amazon.com it ships faster then ebay.

if you still cant try feeding the chick REALLY SMALL pieces of bread.
Yes, good advice if nothing is local, Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Non-GMO-Natur...qid=1448658536&sr=1-16&keywords=chick+starter

You will pay half as much at a feed store though.

As for the bread crumbs...even worse than the oatmeal. No nutrition value.

Thank you everyone! I'll get chick starter when I find it, hopefully tomorrow. Is it alright to feed it boiled egg instead of scrambled? He has been given boiled egg, but I'll prepare some scrambled eggs as well.

We'll do that :)
I read that chickens who get a taste for raw eggs will break eggs in order to get at the raw egg inside :oops:

Back
Top Bottom