3 day old chick with swollen belly

sktlmt

Songster
8 Years
Dec 27, 2013
On Aug 2 1 chick of 2 hatched. The humidity was off in my incubator. It is a NN so it skin is very thin to begin with but I could see thru it. Its umbilical cord was still partially attached and its belly was very swollen. Then I noticed the splayed leg. This poor chick was all alone and chirping all the time. I made a brace for the legs and its getting around better. Tho still not stable due to the swollen belly. I thought the chirping was due to being along so I bought a 3 day old chick today to keep it company. No change is the chirping.
I have been hand feeding it just to make sure it is eating. And I have been dipping its beak in water. I am just worried about the swollen belly. 1st pic is just after hatch 2nd pic 5 hours later and 3rd pic is 2 days old. Thanks for any advice you have to offer!

Hi, it looks like it could be peritonitis. The chick didn't absorb the yolk fully, it then becomes infected. I had one that had it and it did not survive.
sad.png

On Aug 2 1 chick of 2 hatched. The humidity was off in my incubator. It is a NN so it skin is very thin to begin with but I could see thru it. Its umbilical cord was still partially attached and its belly was very swollen. Then I noticed the splayed leg. This poor chick was all alone and chirping all the time. I made a brace for the legs and its getting around better. Tho still not stable due to the swollen belly. I thought the chirping was due to being along so I bought a 3 day old chick today to keep it company. No change is the chirping.
I have been hand feeding it just to make sure it is eating. And I have been dipping its beak in water. I am just worried about the swollen belly. 1st pic is just after hatch 2nd pic 5 hours later and 3rd pic is 2 days old. Thanks for any advice you have to offer!

Wondering how your chick is doing now? I have a new hatch that looks similar, I'm not sure what to do with her?

Back
Top Bottom