3 day old chicks arrived, doing well, ok to switch to a feeder trough?

Shauna

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Hey there, Just got a batch of babies in, they've been here for about 3 hours. Over all they seem to be doing well and I have a couple questions. The hatchery we got them from said we should spread feed on paper towels for the first day because this will be easier for them to eat. So, they all seem to be eating and drinking just fine, can I go ahead and put feed in a small trough or feeder and let them use that now? Having their feed where they poop is quite messy and I'm changing the paper towels out hourly because of this. The hatchery instructions said to keep them on the paper towels for 1 day, I don't want to rush things if it would be bad, but I think it would be more sanitary.

Also, many of them keep scratching below their chins and it seems quite wet there. Is it just normal for them to try to get themselves dry this way or is the sugar in the water sticking to them and causing them irritation? So maybe I should move to regular water since they are acting fine? The hatchery says to keep them on sugar water for 8 hours and it's only been 3, but again, if it's causing problems I want to fix now.

Thanks for you help, this is the first time I've had newborns to take care of and want to make sure I keep them all well.
smile.png

Put in the trough feed but also put feed on the paper towel or top of an egg carton till you see that they are getting the hang of the new feeder
smile.png

Water is fine for what the hatchery is telling you. Just keep water spills cleaned up. They're not the brightest of creatures and know to stay dry. Best of luck and BYC is a fountain of information so your in a good spot!

Last edited:
k thanks, i'm sitting right with them so I'll keep a good eye on em. This little scratching thing makes me nervous since I've never seen it before, it's such a funny sound to hear. And ideas on the sugar water thing?

haha! the egg carton was a good idea, I started with that because it is lower down than the sides of the trough I have. They seem to have no trouble at all figuring it out. Only drawback, it's so light they knock it over a bit climbing on it, lol.

I don't generally mess with sugar water since I find it can give them pasty butt. I usually just put a bit of the vitamin powder in their water for the first few days (maybe 3). Then if everyone is thriving, clear water after that.

Back
Top Bottom