3 day old chick's picking on the buff orphingtons. ..help!

autkoe

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2015
I have 9 chicks, 3 days old... 3 americanas, 3 silver wyondotte and 3 buff orphingtons. As of yesterday all the other chicks are pecking at the buffs eyes. Started with one now all 3. I have now seperated them in the brooder. Any suggestions? How long? Will it be a future problem? Im new at this and could really use some advice. Thanks!

Welcome! Things to consider; a red heat lamp is safer, don't use white light. Adequate space per chick, in the brooder and around the feeder and waterer. Toys, and things to do; spread some food in the litter to encourage normal behaviors. Comfortable hat levels so there's no crowding in one part of the pen. Pictures? Mary

Everything Folly's Place said. It will pass, they are just bored and dark eyes on yellow head look fun to peck at. If your brooder is big enough and you have provided things to do (I: hang a chick stick, provide chick size grit, have a roost that is low enough for them to use, use a red light at night, use wood shavings that they can dig through for entertainment.) If you still have a problem and you can get enough foo/water dishes then put a wire screen up so they can still be close but not close enough to peck till that habit stops.

Thank you! I upgraded the size of their area this morning, really so that I could separate the 3 Buffs. I have a couple roosts, but they have not shown any interest yet. Ideas for toys? I was thinking of putting a small mirror in there.... Here is a pic (not great pictures, from this morning after I separated them. Worried that the other 3 will now be crowded.

sorry)

Back
Top Bottom