3 day old quails trying to scratch bottom

noideawhatimdoing

In the Brooder
May 8, 2019
my 3-day old quail chicks seem to be pooing more than usual with more liquid poop than usual and seem to be trying to scratch their bottoms. they have been eating cornmeal, quinoa, boiled chicken egg, some cottage cheese and some greens from the yard that it said are good for them online. I added a tiny drop of apple cider vinegar to their water in case it's a pasty bottom. anything else I can do?

What is the temperature in your brooder? Do they have a way to get away from the heat source? Liquid poops is a sign the temp might be too high...or could be something g else. Can you post pics of your setup and the poop? It might help in giving better advice.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
They do seem kind of hot sometimes, but they refuse to sleep in the cooler areas. Ps-the fabric covered thing in the corner is a pot filled with hot water with fabric wrapped around it so it doesn't burn the chicks but also keeps them warm.

You need to check the temperature under the lamp. Should be around 90°F under the lamp. And move their feed and water to the opposite end from the lamp.
Their poop does look like they are to warm.

I couldn't find any in the pet shop and I wanted to try to feed them natural food.
I certainly appreciate wanting to feed them as healthy/natural a diet as possible. I'm willing to bet that this diet isn't balance for them though. For them to survive and grow up strong and healthy they need food that is specifically formulated for their needs. Do you have a Tractor Supply Co. near you, or would you be open to ordering food online and having it delivered to your home?

They need real quail food and grit.

Quail food: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quail+starter+feed&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Chick grit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007571S0M/?tag=backy-20

If they don't get a well-balanced nutritious feed this early in the game, it may kill them. Quail chicks are very delicate.

I'd also suggest getting some kind of real brooder plate instead of a pot of hot water with a rag around it, there's no way to keep it warm at a consistent temperature and the constantly fluctuating temperatures in the brooder are probably making the chicks sick.

They would probably also benefit from some better ventilation, I don't think that box probably circulates air well at the ground level where the chicks are at, which means they are sitting around in stuffy hot air under the heat lamp. Heat diminishes the amount of usable oxygen in the air too.

Back
Top Bottom