3 different babies

ImAussie

Chirping
Apr 15, 2021
Australia
I’ve just had 3 chicks hatch yesterday. All three are very different in colour, though they all have clean legs and single comb.

My laying hens that could have provided the eggs:
- Light Sussex
- Speckled Sussex
- Black australorp
- Black layer (which are australorp x rhode island Red Cross, so a real mix to make a black commercial layer) these started life as black chicks
- Brown layer (Rhode Island Red Cross’s) though I don’t know that either of those girls are laying any more

- I have other breeds as well, but know or don’t believe any of these eggs came from them (Araucana’s - blue eggs, Araucana x Belgian d’uccle - feathered legs and blue eggs, Australian langshen - feathered legs, white silky - not currently laying, golden laced Wyandotte - only just started laying and her eggs are smaller and don’t think any of these were hers).

Rooster:
- Light Sussex
- bantam Belgian d’uccle, but I haven’t seen him mate any of the big girls recently, only our Araucanas, which none of the blue eggs were fertile so doubt he fathered any of these, but could be wrong.

At a guess I’d say:
the light sussex rooster fertilised them all.

The chick that’s yellow with brown markings is speckled sussex mum

Black chick is either australorp mum or black layer (it’s got white on the very tips of its wings)

Yellow chick is light Sussex mum

Of course they could be completely random mixes, but previous times we’ve had mixes they chicks were less uniform in colour, eg white with black spots.
Anyway, I’d love your opinion!

Sadly an egg that didn’t hatch when I opened it (day 23 and no movement detected inside, so I opened it up out of curiosity) the chick looks like it would’ve been a real yellow brown mix, absolutely gorgeous had it survived.
And a chick that I found dead right after it hatched (no visible injury, but looks like it’d maybe had the egg shell pulled off a little too early as it still had some stuff in the bottom of the egg with bloody umbilical cord coming off it, and on the chicks side too, so sadly possibly got pulled off by the other 2 that had already hatched also living around under the mumma hen, or by the hen herself moving around).

I’ll include those 2 as well, though I haven’t put as much thought into who may have produced them, though maybe speckled Sussex or brown layer or black layer given they’d be cross with light Sussex?

Ps the waterer has been cleaned since the photo was taken

99C78A20-8D2D-4FE2-A827-D4C03483CC48.jpeg
D327774E-F706-4885-BF7F-4A6F1E6A3B5B.jpeg
FEDAF565-0703-43FF-8A39-CD3219961973.jpeg
812AFC5A-95A2-48CD-9EC4-0324817205DD.jpeg

73DF679C-3C1D-4797-B1C5-B1744308C20A.jpeg
E4669016-9F76-40AA-AF2A-1E4B8F8A2A4E.jpeg

At a guess I’d say:

the light sussex rooster fertilised them all.
You didn't tell what color the d'Uccle rooster is, but if he has feathered legs and the chicks have clean legs, I think you are probably right that he is not the father.

The chick that’s yellow with brown markings is speckled sussex mum

Black chick is either australorp mum or black layer (it’s got white on the very tips of its wings)

Yellow chick is light Sussex mum
Those match what I would guess, although I think there is a chance that the yellow chick might have the brown layer or black layer as mother. With a Light Sussex father, a chick from the brown layer would also look a lot like a Light Sussex; and because of the mixed parentage for the black layer she could also produce chicks in any color the brown layer could (of course the black layer could produce black chicks, just saying she can do other colors too.)

The d'uccle is porcelain millie fleur.

Thank you for the additional information about the others. I'll have to wait and see how they grow out

An update, 6 days old.
1st (2 pics of this chick) looking like speckled Sussex, and thinking pullet if the wing feather theory is correct (my formal guess for the record lol, see if I’m right).
2nd, looking like black layer or australorp (male based on wing feather theory).
3rd, could of course still be a few options, but the white with some black feathers coming through. (Guessing pullet based on wing feather theory).
The order I’ve listed them is the order they hatched, but all on the same day. 1 in the morning, 1 middle of day, 1 evening.
212719FF-9112-433B-AC9A-82D4F6734848.jpeg
DCDAA591-AB7A-4D10-BEBC-D2D2EEAD0341.jpeg
1E137052-4736-4966-91F2-4FCA5D0464E9.jpeg

Attachments

• 3502CC1D-8344-44F0-86D7-4889359EB1D5.jpeg
    3502CC1D-8344-44F0-86D7-4889359EB1D5.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 7
The d'uccle is porcelain millie fleur.

If any of the chicks grows up to have a color like Speckled Sussex or Mille Fleur (white mottling, with both black and gold/red in the other parts of the feathers), the parents would have to be the d'Uccle and the Speckled Sussex. That's because mottling is recessive, and only shows if a chick gets it from both parents. The lavender gene that dilutes Mille Fleur to Porcelain is also recessive, so you won't see it in any of the chicks unless a hen carried it too (unlikely, with the list you gave.)

That’s very interesting.
The d’uccle made a chick with one of our Araucana (she’s what I think was told lavender barred) last year. Their baby is gorgeous. Sounds like they made a good match

not the best photo of either of them but the d’uccle with his offspring

Attachments

• 7E695BB6-2329-4D82-A157-966C20A92A09.jpeg
    7E695BB6-2329-4D82-A157-966C20A92A09.jpeg
    662.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom