3 grooved pea comb= roo? **clearer photos

Quote:
well I am going to bring my roosters back to the feed store because the guy was so full of himself when I asked if they had been sexed, he told me that no one has come back to him telling him they got roosters, I let him know the last batch I had 2 out of 5 roos. now I think both the chicks I got are roos.

is this a rooster? There's 3 rows.

The guy you bought these from... not a good thing to be overly sure of himself. No one can tell for sure if its a pullet or a cockerel as a very young chick. Vent sexing is an art form and there are contests for it, and people get paid to do it. If it was easy 1. there would no point to a contest 2. there would be no market to pay someone to do it.

There will always be the stray cockerel that gets into the batch.

Personally I love my roo. I just found out I have 2 roos (one snuck in just like it did to you). I will either rehome the roo, or most likely (and unpleasantly) beforced to perform some 'flock maintenance'. It makes me sad, but I try not to get too attached to all of the chickens. It takes a certain amount of strength of will to own and care for a flock. Think of it like this, if you have too many roos they may actually kill each other or damage or kill the hens. This is how I try to reason with myself. I'm protecting the rest of the birds by getting rid of one of the offending birds.

A three row peacomb certainly always has meant cockerel in my experience with peacombed EEs. HOWEVER, let's be clear that I'm talking about three DISTINCT vertical rows of actual bumps, not a strong central row and very, very small uneveness in the comb surrounding it. As well, I have had pullet EEs, always the white/black or silver colored ones, who have had distinct reddening in their single row peacombs at an early age. I don't use comb color as a gender indicator in EEs.

(Your chick is indeed a cockerel.)
I hate to tell you but you really need to learn your comb types....
A pea comb has three rows, not two and not one. That means there is no such comb as a single row peacomb. What your bird had is a single comb.

I will also say that in no way will a comb type tell you the sex of a EE or any other fowl. I have had and see EE hens and roosters with pea comb, rose comb, single comb, cushion comb and every comb and modified comb in between...

What are your opinions on the gender of the black chick below? The chick is 29 days old. It is either a cross between an easter egger sire and a dominique (more probable cross) OR an easter egger sire and an australorp (less probable cross). I kind of got the eggs confused when the mother hen set on them, so I'm not exactly sure. If the chick is male and the parents are the EE/Dom, then the chick should be barred. A female of an EE/Dom cross would be black. That is why I believe it might be a female. However, according to the 3-grooved pea comb rule, then this is a male.

Below are pictures of the sire when it was 37 days old and 14 days old respectively. The sire also crowed when it was 21 days old, which was hilarious. The black chick seems to have a narrower 3-pea comb than the sire, which also makes me hopeful that it is a girl. Next time, I'll be a little more careful and not get my eggs mixed up.

Back
Top Bottom