3 hens laid 4 eggs this morning

KarynVA

Crowing
May 29, 2020
SW Virginia
I know it sounds crazy but it's true! I collect the eggs every morning at 9:00. My 3 hens laid 3 eggs yesterday, and this morning there were 4 eggs in theiir favorite nesting box. The eggs are all uniform and normal, regular sized, hard shells, all that. 🥚🥚🥚🥚

I know it sounds crazy but it's true! I collect the eggs every morning at 9:00. My 3 hens laid 3 eggs yesterday, and this morning there were 4 eggs in theiir favorite nesting box. The eggs are all uniform and normal, regular sized, hard shells, all that. 🥚🥚🥚🥚
Guessing you had an early layer.
Gather all eggs every night for a more accurate count.

It's definitely possible. I collect eggs twice a day, morning and afternoon. I recently acquired two commercial leghorns. While they were in quarantine, twice now I've gotten three eggs in one day, meaning one laid two eggs. Both times I've been able to easily ID the second egg, because it had a thin, almost semi-translucent like shell. Hard enough that the egg kept its shape and didn't break, but still a very thin shell. Up until that point, I was on the side of the naysayers, saying it wasn't possible. And in the three years I've had chickens, the leghorns were the only chickens I've had that have done this.

Golden comets are bred for production, so my assumption would be production breeds can on, a rare occasion, lay a second egg.

All 3 are Golden Comets. They are all just over a year old.
Golden comets are bred to lay very well, so it’s not overly surprising to me. If it was a different breed, like a Barnevelder, it may be different, but for hatchery hybrids like golden comets, they are bred to lay a very large amount of eggs.

"Two Or More Eggs A Day? Chickens will sometimes release two yolks at the same time. This is most common with young hens who are maturing, or a sign that a bird is being overfed. Therefore, a chicken could potentially lay two eggs a day, but no more." - heritageacresmarket

"Two Or More Eggs A Day? Chickens will sometimes release two yolks at the same time. This is most common with young hens who are maturing, or a sign that a bird is being overfed. Therefore, a chicken could potentially lay two eggs a day, but no more." - heritageacresmarket
Wait?! How does one overfeed a chicken? My feeders are always full, I didn't think they would gorge like a dog would! Well I suppose my Brahmas eat like dogs lol hmm learn something new everyday!

Back
Top Bottom