3 hens laid 4 eggs this morning

Unless she laid the first one the day before.
As I said in my original post, though, I gather eggs every morning at 9:00. The day before, I gathered 3 eggs at 9 am. Then the next morning at 9 am there were 4 eggs. So, sure, she may have laid the day before but not until AFTER 9:00 am, so that would be less than 24 hours between.

I had 5 Golden Comets and one or more would be in a nest when I open coop and turn on the lights.
20180410_090822_resized.jpg

Their first year of Laying all 5 would be done by 7:30 am most days.
My 4 ISA Browns are the same way, one or two find their way to the nests before 5 am.
It's not uncommon for all 3 nests to be occupied shortly after I turn on lights and they eat.
20201031_053753_resized_kindlephoto-96929763.jpg

GC

It's definitely possible. I collect eggs twice a day, morning and afternoon. I recently acquired two commercial leghorns. While they were in quarantine, twice now I've gotten three eggs in one day, meaning one laid two eggs. Both times I've been able to easily ID the second egg, because it had a thin, almost semi-translucent like shell. Hard enough that the egg kept its shape and didn't break, but still a very thin shell. Up until that point, I was on the side of the naysayers, saying it wasn't possible. And in the three years I've had chickens, the leghorns were the only chickens I've had that have done this.

Golden comets are bred for production, so my assumption would be production breeds can on, a rare occasion, lay a second egg.

"Two Or More Eggs A Day? Chickens will sometimes release two yolks at the same time. This is most common with young hens who are maturing, or a sign that a bird is being overfed. Therefore, a chicken could potentially lay two eggs a day, but no more." - heritageacresmarket
Wait?! How does one overfeed a chicken? My feeders are always full, I didn't think they would gorge like a dog would! Well I suppose my Brahmas eat like dogs lol hmm learn something new everyday!

I had the same reaction about over feeding chickens, but after thinking about it, I decided it is probably due to giving them lots of treats. Especially non-nutritious treats like bread and things.

I give my chickens treats once or twice a week; usually dried mealworms and/or fruit and veggie scraps. Once a month or so I give them scratch.

I'm more lean to the young hen 2 eggs a day or high production breeds. It happens with my mother legshorns more often. She does feed them lots of treats. Kind of makes sense put in alot of food and they pump out eggs. Leghorns and golden comets were breed for high egg production to the amount of feed they consume. Golden comets are more dual purpose but still. Also there could be damage to one of the hens reproductive system making it produce 2 eggs a day. I my opinion I wouldn't worry to much about it.

4 eggs this morning and my 2nd hen is in the nesting box now!? Nest was empty this morning, I placed a marked egg in it because one hen has been on meds. 😲

Attachments

• IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom