3 Legged Rescue Gerbil Pup!(Graphic pics, but no blood)

Sumatra503

Kozy Orchard Farms
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I was brought this little gerbil pup yesterday. His owner is new to breeding gerbils and had given his pair a wash cloth to use a s nesting material for the pups. As gerbils do they shredded the rag and left loose threads. This little pup got his leg wrapped up in one of the loose threads. As he struggled to get free he twisted and twisted.

When he came to me his owner had left the threads still attached to the leg, because they were unsure of what to do with it. I examined him and found that the leg was almost totally severed down to the bone. His paw was turned backwards and it was obvious that it would just cause him trouble if I left it on.

I dipped the leg in rubbing alcohol and used a sterile pair of scissors to cut the foot the rest of the way off. He didn't even flinch and there was very little blood.

He is doing just fine now and once the bleeding stopped I placed him in with my current littler of pups and the parents took him in without even noticing.

He is doing much better today and he even walks around a bit. He is still at the age before his eyes open, but he gets around just fine!

Back
Top Bottom