3 Little Stinkers Flew the Brooder

Lizzy733

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
New Zealand
So my 6 little chicks, 2 days shy of 4 weeks have been outside all day for the last 3 days as we've been starting integration. Our 3 big girls have been very interested, to say the least and spend all day circling their isolation pen.

Well, went to collect them in this evening only to find two little roos and one of the pullets begging to be let back in with their siblings!

The big girls were absolutely indifferent and I have no idea how long those sneaky bubs were out free in the run. I think I'd last checked in on them a few hours before.

So integrated?? My run is a bit patchy at the moment so wasn't planning on properly loose them together till we move out to the lifestyle block and I have their new accommodation sorted, which happens at the end of the month, but looks like some supervised mingling may be in order now XD

Nobody was hurt.. had a sit down with them in the laundry room by the brooder and they were trilling happily while climbing all over me, whole incident forgotten.

I always enjoy a happy ending -- glad to hear everybody is okay. I hope you gave them a good talking to during that sit down!

I would probably vote for supervised mingling. Integration is always tricky to judge, but maybe they're trying to tell you they're ready?
It was 3 of the campines that got out. They're almost fully feathered and I'm sure they 'fly climbed' the wall and snuck out between the gap in the fence and cover.

One of the roos tried jumping to the crossbar and squeezing out the sides on day one out there and I had to refortify a bit. They're growing so fast!

Just glad they didn't scatter and came right over to me when I was collecting them up for the night.

My big girls have been doing anything but ignoring them during the day and they have all taken to hanging around the baby pen instead of under the kaka beak where they spend most of their day.

They're probably happy for the company, honestly. We lost our 3 shavers over winter as their high production finally caught up with them. Out of the remaining 3, 1 just got off a 6 week broody stint. Coulda let her hatch my eggs at that rate :/

The other two have seemed pretty lonely - especially when someone's gone to lay. I've had my shyest come running to me for company while everyone else was hanging out in the hen house.

I think I'll keep them to the pen today still... Maybe try some mingling later in the day once I'm not working. They're getting very used to loading into the carrier to go in and out. Hopefully that'll help for the move. I'm sure they won't all fit by move day. We're slated to move in 19 days.

Okay, I give up!

Went out to check on them midday and all 6 were running free in the run happy as can be.

Looks like one side of the isolation pen was not flush with the ground and they snuck under. Taking their queue, I slid a panel up on each side so they can get back in to their food and water.

Can't put it out because it's medicated and the big girls would smash it. Thankfully, the feed-o-matic means I don't have to worry about them sneaking adult food either... As long as they realise they can get back into their part for grub. They've been chomping on herbs and shrubs in the run all day - marjoram, thyme, lavender, kakabeak, currant... Spoiled little squirts!

My 3 big girls are pretty apathetic to the whole thing. My youngest, Morty, will make a go at one of the roos on occasion, but doesn't put much effort into it, so I suppose that's integration done in 4 days minus roosting, but they're only 4 weeks, so I've been pulling them in at night still - but they are off their heat.

I've caught them climbing the coop porch, but they haven't tried going in just yet.

Had a good sit down with them at lunch where one of the girls reclaimed her favorite perch on my shoulder and settled in. Good thing their breed stays pretty small, but they all have lovely personalities and I've only had to tell one of the roos off once. He hasn't tried any of that cute chest bumpy behavior with me since, so I think he learned his lesson.

They're certainly keeping you on your toes!

Hope everyone catches on soon and all stay safe.
They are such clever little cookies and I'm proud of my flock for being so accepting of them so early.

I think my last integration was around 3 weeks, but that was with a broody.

These little guys are doing it all by themselves.

Now I'm a little worried though cause they figured out two of them together can open the big girl feeder. Thankfully, the smack of it opening all the way sent them running, but it's only a matter of time now till they realise they can get at the layer pellets :/

Saw them hop on the tread together twice yesterday evening. They're too clever for their own good.

Now I'm a little worried though cause they figured out two of them together can open the big girl feeder. Thankfully, the smack of it opening all the way sent them running, but it's only a matter of time now till they realise they can get at the layer pellets :/

You could switch the whole flock to an all-flock feed.

A few bites of layer pellets won't hurt the little ones, you just don't want them eating it over the long term, and medicated feed won't hurt the adults. :)

You could switch the whole flock to an all-flock feed.

A few bites of layer pellets won't hurt the little ones, you just don't want them eating it over the long term, and medicated feed won't hurt the adults. :)
I still have like half a 25kg bag of starter crumble to go through. They'd been smashing a feeder full a day(with a fair bit of spillage) up till now, but are notably less while out as there's a fair bit of forage for them in the run.

They are too busy trying all the things and I don't think they realise the feeder has food in it just yet, but it's only a matter of time. Hoping the big girls will keep them off the feeder for now and they keep using theirs which is inaccessible to the big girls.

Had my fiestiest little boy try to staunch out my 2 year old SLW... Was Soo adorable since he's such a tiny thing. All she had to do was stand up straight and take a step forward for him to realise the error of his ways and go skittering off. I think he was just excited to be out in the run. Did a lap of the whole thing in short order when I let them out first thing, weaving between the big girls and trying to sneak past without getting told off.

I still have like half a 25kg bag of starter crumble to go through. They'd been smashing a feeder full a day(with a fair bit of spillage) up till now, but are notably less while out as there's a fair bit of forage for them in the run.

They are too busy trying all the things and I don't think they realise the feeder has food in it just yet, but it's only a matter of time. Hoping the big girls will keep them off the feeder for now and they keep using theirs which is inaccessible to the big girls.

Had my fiestiest little boy try to staunch out my 2 year old SLW... Was Soo adorable since he's such a tiny thing. All she had to do was stand up straight and take a step forward for him to realise the error of his ways and go skittering off. I think he was just excited to be out in the run. Did a lap of the whole thing in short order when I let them out first thing, weaving between the big girls and trying to sneak past without getting told off.

That's so cute!

That's so cute!
Oh he's a character.

He gets pretty needy for cuddles and likes to sit on my shoulder. Trying to balance those hormones and the need for attention without him turning into a nasty roo - it'll be my first time raising a roo past 6 weeks since we can keep our boys this time around.

I've had to tell him off for trying to bump me once - upended him till he submitted, which didn't take long - and he hasn't tried that with me since.

Hopefully, if I just stay on top of it, he won't turn nasty. He has the best pattern of my two Campine boys and I really want to use him as my primary breeder.

Back
Top Bottom