3 month evaluation

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
My peeps were 3 months old yesterday and boy have they changed!! Here's my evaluation after 3 months:

1. Rhode Islands Reds are buttholes...
2. Read #1 again...
3. Barred Rocks are delightful
4. They love to free range and are very good at it!!
5. Did I mention RIR's are buttholes?
6. They love watermelon
7. They will eat anything they encounter...frogs, lizards, caterpillars and stuff I have never seen before.
8. There are no boundaries...my wife's garden being the main thing :)
9. They love to dust bathe in freshly planted flowers...wife hates them.
10. They make some of the weirdest noises...

It's been quite an experience with them I have to say as I have not had chickens in a long time and forgot how neat they are...next up egg laying in a few months I suppose. Take care everyone!!

Fencing around the garden or around specific plants / beds really helps. We do the second. Can't expect the chickens to change their minds. It's a worthwhile investment because plants aren't cheap to replace, in money and in labor.

Yep. Fence them in or fence them out.

RIRs do have that reputation for being feisty -- which some people love and others hate.

Fencing around the garden or around specific plants / beds really helps. We do the second. Can't expect the chickens to change their minds. It's a worthwhile investment because plants aren't cheap to replace, in money and in labor.
I fenced them out...bought some chicken wire and built covers for all of the plants that they were so attracted to. Now they go under the barn and dust under my tractor which is perfectly fine by me.

Wyandottes are worse in my flock.

My SLWs are perfectly well-behaved flock citizens, though they do tend to stick to themselves.

The Mottled Javas had a bit of attitude. Not much, but they didn't get pushed around.

I ended up keeping the biting broody though and she's currently fulfilling her promise of being an EXCELLENT mother.

My peeps were 3 months old yesterday and boy have they changed!! Here's my evaluation after 3 months:

1. Rhode Islands Reds are buttholes...
2. Read #1 again...
3. Barred Rocks are delightful
4. They love to free range and are very good at it!!
5. Did I mention RIR's are buttholes?
6. They love watermelon
7. They will eat anything they encounter...frogs, lizards, caterpillars and stuff I have never seen before.
8. There are no boundaries...my wife's garden being the main thing :)
9. They love to dust bathe in freshly planted flowers...wife hates them.
10. They make some of the weirdest noises...

It's been quite an experience with them I have to say as I have not had chickens in a long time and forgot how neat they are...next up egg laying in a few months I suppose. Take care everyone!!
Don't be dissin' those RIRs :lau

Back
Top Bottom