3 month old Ameraucana pullets, do I have a roo in the group?

hideandpeep

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Golden, Colorado
A very nice family gave me these four Ameraucana pullets. They were hand raised by her four kids and have wonderful personalities. I've had them for a month now, and I'm thinking that Chick-A-Dee (white and black) may be a rooster. She said they were Araucana pullets, but I'm pretty sure they are either Americanas or EE. What do you think? I'm hoping Chick is a pullet but if she's a he I'll keep him anyway.

The three girls.

Chick-A-Dee (left) and Shelly on the alert.

Chick-A-Dee

The girls hanging out in the yard.

Better head shot of Chick-A-Dee.

They are Easter Eggers and Chick-A-Dee does look like a cockerel to me because of his more spotty colors and the little pointy feathers coming in on his neck and behind his tail, and the hint of red in his wing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Griffinsong. I've been staring at her/him for the last couple of days and I was leaning more towards cockerel but wanted feedback from more experienced chicken keepers. Chick-A-Dee is so sweet that I'll keep him as long as the neighbors don't complain. Fresh eggs should help...
wink.png

Sadly I am not so much an experienced keeper, as I can't keep chickens myself atm, living in an apartment, but I have done a lot of studying and nerding it up on these forums ;P, in preparation for some day >D.
I wish you good luck with your chooks, either way. EEs are generally sweet birds so hopefully your boy grows up to be a good roo.

Last edited:
Survey says.... Chick-A-Dee is now Chuck-A-Dee. I appreciate the confirmation of what I suspected. If anything changes, and Chuck starts laying eggs, I'll let everyone know. LOL

Hello,

I know this post is almost a year old, but i have an EE that is almost three months old and i swear it looks almost identical to your chuck-a-dee. Was chuck-a-dee actually a rooster. The reason i am asking is because my chicken (named crazy) is the most docile of my three. Yet, i have read that roosters tend to be more aggressive. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom