3 month old chicken blue colored skin around eyes, pale comb, sleepy

zclight

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2015
Any idea what could be wrong with my chicken? the area around the eyes/head is blue colored. comb is pale looking. she/he has been active until today. now sleeping,, lethargic. this one is a buff orpington from a npip breeder. she/he has been separated with a white orpington for about a month from the rest of flock. i built a larger coop/house for 25 chickens and when i put them all in, these two were the smallest and were getting pecked at. they both are about 1/2 the size of the rest of the flock but were supposedly all born the same hatch. the white orpington seems ok but chirps all the time. i think the buff was chirping a lot too but right now, just sleeping.

any help is greatly appreciated. what can i check on her? i have corid. do i need antibiotics?

How do the droppings look? Is she eating or drinking? How is the breathing? Coccidiosis can be a problem at this age as they are building up resistance to it in the soil and other droppings. Symptoms include lethargy, not eating, standing around hunched or puffed up, runny droppings with mucus or blood, and ruffled feathers. Corid would be good for coccidosis. In the meantime, I would check the crop to see if it is full, empty, hard, or balloon-like, check the skin around the vent, neck, and under wings for any signs of lice or mites. Worms could also be a problem. A vet could do a fecal test for worms or coccidia. Good wormers that get all worms are Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days, and SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row.

I look it over and didn't see mites or lice. The coop they are in is off the ground about 5 feet. (they are now divided apart in it) I notice yellow liquidy near the vent on some feather. I will watch for poop. They were off medicated food for about a week. I'm picking some up on Monday. I'll check her again in a bit for crop issue.

oh no.. went to check on her. she has died. she had a quarter size puddle at her beak, slimy looking..I wish I knew what happened to her. :(

Sorry for your loss. An outbreak of coccidiosis cannot be treated with amprollium medicated feed, since the dosage is just too low. I would treat all with Corid (amprollium) in the liquid form or a packet of the powder. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. Then give them some probiotics and vitamins for a few more days. The liquid from her beak could have been crop contents. Crops can slow down or become sluggish with cocci. Here is a link to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll treat with corid. I have the powder. Do I treat all the chicks or just her roomie (the only one that separated with her)? Everyone else seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom