3 month old chicks are dying fast

stickman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
Lebanon, TN
Wednesday morning I noticed most of my 3 month old chicks (about 15) we're acting lethargic. The day before they were acting normal. 8 hours later 4 were dead. 4 hours later 4 more died. I gave them fresh water with a dose of Corid they drank and went to roost. This morning 6 more we're dead. I freshened their water water and 8 hours later 10 more we're dead. I've gave them a second dose of Corid an hour ago. I'm down to 11 chicks. They are a little more active than yesterday but still sick. They are in a coop by themselves but my older hens and Roos free range and get pretty close to the sick birds. Should I be giving them Corid also. And how do I sanitize the coop if they make it or not.

Corrid only treats cocci nothing else.

How is your weather?
Are they eating?
What does their poo look like?

It rained Friday and has been hot80s since. They are eating but not like they normally do. They usually gorge themselves now they just pick around. They hang around the water drinking a lot. Poop is bloody.

I've raised chickens for about 16 years and never had them get sick. Of course I looked around on the internet and errything looked like cocci Not positive that's what it is but I wanted to try something so I started Corrid.

First I'll say I am a novice.
But with such an emergency I hope any feedback can be helpful.
I had chicks a year and a half ago who seemed perfectly healthy then began excreting blood in their poop. I quickly ran the bunch on corrid. Within a couple of days the symptoms went away.
My biggest concern or question is regarding their reduced appetite and eating habits.
If they had felt ill, of course appetite would be poor.
In my situation--and it was only with approx 8 chicks I had gotten from an acquaintance--and the issue did resolve to no more blood in stool, and return to normal eating/drinking behavior.
And that was the entire ordeal.

Are these chicks hatched by your own hens? (If so and are being raised by the hens it might be suggested--I hope someone comes along with expertise!) Purchased? If so do you have confidence in the source from whom you purchased them? Is it a situation in which you can ask questions of the person/place you got the chicks (if not home hatched) and expect honest assessment and advice?

Please do keep us all updated on what happens! I am s very sorry you and your flock are experiencing this crisis!
How many more chicks "from that batch" are still with you? are they improving or declining? I hope and prays they are improving!

More than that I'm nowhere near qualified to say.

25 are 4-H chicks. I've had them since February. 5 are polish bantams 2 sea bright bantams and two Americana bantams. All same age all been together since day one.

Make sure that your Corid mixture is 1 1/2 tsp of powder or 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 7 days. They have to drink enough of the fluid to get the proper dosage. Mixing a concentrate of 1 1/2 tsp of the powder to 2 tsp of water and give 2 drops orally twice a day, or use the cincentrated liquid. This will jump start them if they have not been drinking. Three week olds with bloody poops and being lethargic most likely have cocci. Clean up droppings and keep bedding clean and dry. When treatment ends, a few days of poultry vitamins and probiotics in the water can be helpful.

Thank you. I just went and checked on the remaining chincks and most look a little better. I have three other coops with ducks in one large breed chickens in one and bantams in another. All adultsShould I put the Corrid in all there watering bowls too?

That's a great question!
Usually I give a broad spectrum dewormer in february--hoping it's before any hens go broody. (this year due to a very mild winter I had a hen go broody first)
I don't know if this is the best way to do it.
I hope someone can/will answer the question.

Thank you. I just went and checked on the remaining chincks and most look a little better. I have three other coops with ducks in one large breed chickens in one and bantams in another. All adultsShould I put the Corrid in all there watering bowls too?
Ducks and chickens older than 20 weeks are not as likely to suffer from coccidiosis infection unless they are immune compromised or very run down. I would treat all youngsters chickens, and any others that appear lethargic, hunched or puffed up, or looking weak. Most healthy birds will build up a tolerance to coccidia in the soil and droppings as they grow up.

Back
Top Bottom