3 month old chicks are dying fast

I lost another 7 chicks today. I have 5 left and they are acting halfway normal. I think the Corrid was given a lot too late to save them. I hope the remaining chicks survive.

Can stress also leave the youngsters open to infection? I noticed in 2 of my youngsters that recently move from indoors to outdoors suspicious looking poop. I have "Wazine-17" here. Is that equally good to use?
I'd like to treat all of the newly moved birds as is being suggested on this thread. Ideally though I'd not like to retreat the adults. Is the only way to accomplish that to separate them again?

I've raised chickens for about 16 years and never had them get sick. Of course I looked around on the internet and errything looked like cocci Not positive that's what it is but I wanted to try something so I started Corrid.
Run to the store to get some!
Hurry!

Can stress also leave the youngsters open to infection? I noticed in 2 of my youngsters that recently move from indoors to outdoors suspicious looking poop. I have "Wazine-17" here. Is that equally good to use?
I'd like to treat all of the newly moved birds as is being suggested on this thread. Ideally though I'd not like to retreat the adults. Is the only way to accomplish that to separate them again?
Hi @yeye5
Can you post some photos of the poop?

Wazine-17 is a de-wormer (for roundworms only), it will not treat Coccidiosis. Symptoms of Cocci include lethargy, going off feed, diarrhea with mucous or blood and the birds have a fluffed up/disheveled appearance.

Corid (Amprolium) is a Coccidiostat that treats an overload of Cocci.

Hi @yeye5
Can you post some photos of the poop?

Wazine-17 is a de-wormer (for roundworms only), it will not treat Coccidiosis. Symptoms of Cocci include lethargy, going off feed, diarrhea with mucous or blood and the birds have a fluffed up/disheveled appearance.

Corid (Amprolium) is a Coccidiostat that treats an overload of Cocci.
I just got home and added wazine to the water. Unreal! I should have checked that before going out.
I will get the corrid. I used to have it at home and I'll recheck every place it could be but I think it's gone by now from previous use last year.
I did clean the poop so as to avoid infecting other birds they'd been with. Since I now know wazine is not the right product there will unfortunately be more opportunity to take poopy pics. argh.
I did give the adults berries the other day thinking the youngsters wouldn't touch them. My favorite would be to report that I see berries but I don't think that's the case.
Poop is runny and at least one of them has red tint in it. (I discovered it this morning). Also they are in various stages of lethargy. None of them is unable/unwilling to move around but they don't have their usual appetite.
I had to risk stressing them again by moving them. I did that bcs there are newly hatched chicks where they were. I am trying to stay calm...
If I see any of the red tinted poop I will photograph it and post.

any where and every where...

Normally, most birds pass small numbers of oocysts in their droppings without apparent ill effects. Coccidiosis becomes important as a disease when animals live, or are reared, under conditions that permit the build-up of infective oocysts in the environment. The intensive rearing of domestic chickens may provide these conditions.

Young chickens pick up the infection from contaminated premises (soil, houses, utensils, etc.). These premises may have been contaminated previously by other young infected birds or by adult birds that have recovered from the condition. Wet areas around water fountains are a source of infection.

Oocysts remain viable in litter for many months. In this way, they can contaminate a farm from year to year. Oocysts are killed by freezing, extreme dryness and high temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom