3 month old chicks died suddenly

Twinkkitten

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Tucson, AZ
My next door neighbor's two 3 month old chicks died yesterday. The day before they were both lively, active and noisy. They were kept in a cage, had food and water. No predators. I wonder why. Sad. She had them as tiny babies. The weather was warm and perfect. What would cause this?

If there was no sign of a predator, they could have died of coccidiosis, which can be treated with Corid or Ampromed for 5 days. Does she not have a coop and run to keep them in? Were they on a 20% protein grower feed? I would not keep chicks that age in a cage because they need more room to run around.

Are your neighbor's birds able to get shade at all times of the day? Did they have continuous access to water? Yesterday was hot enough to cause death if either of these conditions were not met.

She has kept chickens her whole life. They had water and she had them on scratch and I shared my growth pellets with them. My birds are about 50 yards from heres. All my girls are fine. I hope it is not contagious.

Maybe it was the heat. The cage is on the west side of the house so it was out of the sun. It was very hot yesterday. I was burned by my seatbelt.
My girls have a water sprayer. They are spoiled.

Are your neighbor's birds able to get shade at all times of the day?  Did they have continuous access to water?  Yesterday was hot enough to cause death if either of these conditions were not met.

No, just a little cage. No run. They were fine in the same place for weeks. The fact that the both died must point to heat.

It was my first guess, since they were fine the day before. Young birds that have not yet endured one of our summers seem to be at risk the most, especially in the first 95-100 degree days of the year. Hopefully it's nothing transmittable to your birds.
fl.gif

I would not rule out Coccidiosis. It can kill large numbers of birds very suddenly with no clinical signs. This is the right age, too. The only way to know is to do a necropsy and look for thickened mottled intestines, particularly in the proximal small intestine, ceca and colon. A fecal exam can also detect them. It is contagious but most commonly kills the younger birds. Older bird (I believe) build up an immunity, but may succumb if they are stressed. It can't hurt to be too careful and practice good biosecurity, ie limit contact between her birds and yours as much as possible, including tracking stuff on your shoes if you go over there.

Too late. The chicken burial was quick. We live in a duplex, the house is joined and our yards are on opposite ends. My chickens did not have contact with hers, and the droppings were in the cage. I guess we will never know. They have been outside for a couple months now.

Back
Top Bottom