3 month old chicks fluffy, weak, bad balance

Sjberg

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2018
I have 2 3 month old chicks, buff Orpington mixes that just are not thriving. They are weak, they’re always fluffed up, really unstable on their feet, bad balance and seem to have weak legs as they run to the food, but just sit down when they get there. They are in a small coop with 7 older chickens(not laying yet), they all come from the same place and have been together since hatching. I have pine animal shavings for bedding, have been fermenting feed, but they just seem to be getting worse. Any ideas?

They’re not really slow, they just sit down right away and lose their balance and fall over very easily

Welcome to BYC. Have you ever tried treating for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium?) Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, poor appetite, runny poops, sometimes with blood, and being hunched or puffed up. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid, or 1 1/2 tsp of powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all birds at once.

What are you using for the fermented feed? I might stop that for a bit, and see if they perk up. There are other possible problems, such as a vitamin or mineral deficiency, poor genetics or hatch, and Mareks disease. Do they show any signs of a respiratory illness or an ear infection?

I have 2 3 month old chicks, buff Orpington mixes that just are not thriving. They are weak, they’re always fluffed up, really unstable on their feet, bad balance and seem to have weak legs as they run to the food, but just sit down when they get there. They are in a small coop with 7 older chickens(not laying yet), they all come from the same place and have been together since hatching. I have pine animal shavings for bedding, have been fermenting feed, but they just seem to be getting worse. Any ideas?

Welcome to BYC. Have you ever tried treating for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium?) Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, poor appetite, runny poops, sometimes with blood, and being hunched or puffed up. Dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid, or 1 1/2 tsp of powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Treat all birds at once.

What are you using for the fermented feed? I might stop that for a bit, and see if they perk up. There are other possible problems, such as a vitamin or mineral deficiency, poor genetics or hatch, and Mareks disease. Do they show any signs of a respiratory illness or an ear infection?
I agree with @Eggcessive I would stop the fermented feed and treat for Coccidiosis.
Photos of your pullets and their poop would be helpful.
If you have a video of their actions, upload that to youtube and provide us a link.

Thanks for your input. I’m a bit confused as to why to stop the fermented feed....we cement so that the food is more easily digested and to make the nutrients more available. Would this not be helpful to most conditions? I don’t have any photos at the moment, but there is no blood in the poop. I should also mention that they have been having issues for over a month, just not as severe as now.

Stop the fermented feed in case there is something wrong ywith your batch that is making her sick. Chickens do very well without fermenting their feed. You can always resume it later if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom