3 month old EE....cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jojomojo, Feb 2, 2014.

1. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    [​IMG]

2. Corny Caleb

Corny Caleb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    NJ
    YEP, totally a cockerel, spiky saddle fathers.

1 person likes this.
  3. jojomojo

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    I felt kind of silly asking, but figured there was still hope because I hadn't heard her crow yet lol This is "Jane", one of 8 "pullets" I got back in November. I hope this is the only surprise.

4. Corny Caleb

Corny Caleb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    NJ
    Oh, don't feel silly at all, it's really hard too tell at this age, especially when they have pea combs. And that's hapend too me as well, being sold 'hens" ugh. [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cockerel. Feel free to post pics of your other birds if you're concerned about anyone.

And don't ever feel silly asking! Some of us spend far too much time on this board and get a little too excited when we see a new pic we haven't id'd yet.....not naming any names or anything [​IMG]

It's always easier to id other folks' birds than your own. I had a beautiful, huge, very masculine Easter Egger rooster I thought was a hen until he was like 5 months old---he was SO obviously a rooster, I just hadn't "seen" it because he was supposed to be a she!

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    1000% cockerel.

For future reference, he would have been easy to sex as soon as he got those red patches on his wings. Those only appear in male birds, and are extremely common in many color patterns. Here's a photo of some 7 week old EE cockerels--see those red patches? Red patches like that, even when the bird doesn't have any other signs like a red comb or hackle or saddle feathers, will tell you that you have a male bird.

[​IMG]

7. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    It's me, isn't it?!? You're talking about MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. jojomojo

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    I just felt silly because I was already 99.9% sure it was a cockerel....just in denial lol

Good to know! I noticed "she" had very different coloring than the other EEs and just thought "oooh, pretty!", next time I'll know better!

Now my newest group of girls is missing one of the set...I've got Lydia, Kitty, Mary, & Elizabeth. Guess the only solution is to get more chickens! And since I can't get just one.....well, that's chicken math for you, right? I even have a broody ready to go....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I said I wasn't naming any names, but [​IMG]

10. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by