3 month old pullets-appropriate price?

Nupine

Songster
12 Years
Nov 21, 2007
Ohio
Hello, for a 4-H project this year, I decided to do something different. I purchased 50 pullets, golden comets, BRs, and EEs, in mid April and was planning on selling at around 4-5 months old. Well they are little pigs and are eating a ton of feed, and I need the pens they are in for other chickens. So I am selling them now, at 3 months old. Not quite point-of-lay but close. Being that this is a 4-H project, I am hoping to get a reasonable amount of money for them. We live in an area where older pullets are in demand, but it is also a somewhat poor area. I just don't know what to charge. I have put a ton of tiem and money in them, and thye are all growing great and are in perfect health, also they are in nice bedding so they are very clean.
big_smile.png
I also plan to market them through craigslist, agriseek, BYC, the two feed stores in town, grocery stores, and the two local free newspapers that are popular. I was thinking about $8 each for 11 or less and $7 if you buy 12 or more. Again this is a 4-H project and all are pullets except one BR turned out to be a roo. Does you think that is too high, too low, or a good price? Thanks!
Ashlyn

I'd say that's a pretty good price. Laying hens around here usually sell for about $10, and since yours are close, but not quite laying, $8 sounds like a good deal.

Depends on your area, here you could probably get 15 each providing you know they are girls, while I've seem them listed as high as $35 for "hand tame" birds. You have to go check out your local paper and see what they are being sold for locally.

Your price you're thinking sounds right to me! I sell my started pullets for $8 each as well and we are in a very depressed area of the U.S. As a matter of fact, our area has been in a depression for the past 10 years now, due to factories closing and moving over seas and I still get $8 each for mine.
smile.png

If it were early spring you probably could get more but for this time of year that's about right.

Back
Top Bottom