3 month pullet sleeping & lethargy

KemahBYC

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2022
We have 2 3 month old australorp pullets and 1 seems to sleep a lot. She sleeps standing up. It’s very odd. A couple weeks ago after putting them outside in a small pen in the bigger coop with 3 hens and a roo we noticed her tail was always down and she wasn’t singing her usual songs to us. We moved both of them back inside and started 5 days of Tylan 50 on the one we thought was acting a little off. She seemed a little better but not quite right. Since they had been outside so I thought maybe it’s coccidiosis and started on Corid. We use a syringe to give her .1ml 9.6% orally every morning for 5 days and also mix the measured Corid water to 3 day fermented crumble. She seemed to be much better after a day or 2 and after 5 days discontinued the .1 ml oral dose but kept Corid mixed in the waterer. After 2 days off the .1 ml she is back to sleeping standing up and seems a little lethargic.

Any ideas?

Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied.
How does her crop feel now?
Is she eating and drinking?
I would keep treating for coccidiosis.

We are 20 miles south of Houston. These 2 have been in A/C at 80 F since we brought them home at 5 weeks. Up until this started we would fill the waterer with 25% pedialyte once a week and it was available le all the time the few days they were outside. They seem to like the strawberry flavor pedialyte best. I’ll try the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom