3 new eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kirkster5, Aug 7, 2008.

1. kirkster5

kirkster5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    My girls are laying:D

I free range my girls during the day and I have been looking for eggs everyday since we had our first about a week ago. I just went outside and found one of my RIR's in an old feed bag next to the back porch. I tried to coax her out with no luck. Then it occured to me.....she's must be sitting on some eggs. Lo and behold 3 perfect little brown eggs. Here is my question....we have a rooster and unless he is sterile these eggs are fertilized(His nick name is Sir Humpsalot;) Now I dont want any more chicks right now and there is a possibility that one or more of these eggs is 3 days old. Is it too late to eat(I mean without anything creepy inside when it is cracked)?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I've read that when a fertilized egg sits for 24 hours a chick begins to develop. I wouldn't eat them now.

3. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    I've done a little reading lately about incubating eggs... After a week in the incubator, you candle them (shine a bright light through them) to see if anything is developing. Here's an image of a four-day old egg...

[​IMG]

The darkest spot is the embryo. The lines radiating out from it are the veins from the embryo to the other materials in the egg.

Shine a bright light through the eggs and see what's inside. Then, you can decided what to do with them.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by