3 new peafowl IB

It's working out good with the 3 new birds they are roaming the back yard now and have calmed down a little. They don't take off running as soon as they see me. One of the little hens came up for a treat of some old hot dog bun. The other 2 stood off about 20 feet watching the others eat the bread i was feeding them. I think they will be eating out of my hand in a day or two. I am going to try to find a mature male for this summer. I know a lady a few miles from here who has about as many males as she has hens so i will stop in and talk to her. Ill post pics of the new trio as soon as they are calmed down.

Here are some pics of the new Birds the took off last night just before time to roost. I had to track them down and herd them all home today as soon as the sun came up. I went ahead and locked them up. I will keep them in lock down for a couple months by then they should be calling this home. 1 male and 3 hens.

26710_new_peacock.jpg

26710_new_peafowl.jpg

26710_new_peafowl1.jpg

26710_new_peafowl2.jpg

From what i have been told, she has went thru the change of life. I have no way of really knowing how old she is. I have been told they can go thru the change around 20 years of age..When i did a Google search I seen another old hen 18 years of age who looks just like my old hen.

Yes the hen , after her laying years are over, she stop produce those female hormones, I also had one do that. Yes would be hard to tell its not a young male, most don't get a long train.

Deerman, I was wondering about my new male, he has white with black spots in his breast will this change to blue as he matures. I have been looking at pictures of IB peacocks and they all seem to have Blue breast's. I also did a search on yearling Ib peafowl and the yearlings also have blue breast's. He was the only male that had the white in his breast when i went to pick them up, that is why i picked him. He really seemed to stand out from the others.

Thanks

Quote:
Yes his color will change, if you note his breast color is like that of a hen, which young male are , he may have been the younger one reason his breast had not changed like the others. This late summer or early fall he will have the blue breast........

Oh yeah he is going to go through some color changing...I first got an adult pair, so my first yearling peacock that I got last year has been quite an experiance. When I first got him he wasn't much compared to adult peacocks. This is what he looked like:
67904_alto-_first_picture.jpg

Then he got older and his white chest got more dark spots and eventually there was more color than white. His striped wing feathers got more detailed and more white and black than just shades of brown. He started sheading those plain brown train feathers and in their place ones that were stripped but with a touch of green started growing in. Eventually he got train feathers that were greener and greener and with less of a striped patern until just recently while he was displaying I noticed his first eye feather! I am so happy for him and can't wait to see him have fun being a beautiful two year old!
Here he is now:
67904_img_4539.jpg

67904_img_4529.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom