3 new peafowl IB

john in wa

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Last year i kind of inherited 2 peacocks and a hen from my late Aunt. Right after i got them i seen a add on craigslist that some one needed a male. I called them and ended up trading 1 of the males for a young hen. The mature hen ended up being old and no longer lays so i had no eggs or chicks this year. My male passed away this winter he stuck his neck in some where it did not belong. That left me with a old as dirt hen and a young hen that should lay this summer. So yesterday i seen a add for peafowl for sale. I called them and it was the man that got the peacock from me. He was really proud of his new male and told me he fathered 17 chicks this year and i could have as many as i wanted. I told him i would really like a trio and he told me to come pick them up. when i went to pick them up he told me he had been trying to find my number to give me some more birds. He and his wife were really pushing to take more than the 3 i wanted, I told him i felt the 3 was enough and if i had any more i would just sell them. so long story short i am back into the peafowl business. Now i know i will not have a mature male this summer, but next year i should be going strong.

You got eggs this year already?
ep.gif

How old is the older than dirt peahen?
Sorry about your males passing
hit.gif

Got any photos of them to share?

Last edited:
No nothing i have has laid a egg. I think my little hen i traded for last year should be laying this year. she will be 2 years old this summer.. I have no idea how old the hen is from the help of others on this board we think in she is in her 20s.

26710_peahen.jpg

this is a picture I postede of her last summer. her train was nothing like the males train. it was short and looked like she went through a wind storm and it just looked all tattered. Her train is a little longer this year, I will take a picture of her today and post it.

ep.gif
I think Deerman told us about this occurance but wow that hen has a very big train for sure.
How wonderful you get to admire her new beauty even if ya don't get any more eggs.
Didn't you think she was a male when ya got her? i mean i would have, like how many 20 year old peahens are there out there i wonder.

Last edited:
lets see if this turns out this is her today. I took many pics but in the full sun it had way to much glare. I got this one after she got her fill of bread and started heading off.

26710_phot0060.jpg

Quote:
Yes I think it was Deerman who told me about it. I also did a google search on Old Peahen, and seen a few pics of others who have the same thing going on. the fall i brought her home she looked more like a hen. By spring i was starting to wonder. My uncle told me she only laid one egg that summer. I thought OK i will feed her better let her free range and she should lay better for me. well as you can see i will never get a egg out of her, or should i say he/she.

Have you seen her display yet? my girls display when they get excited.
Of course i am old like her and don't get to excited about much of anything. LOL

she has never displayed. The young hen has displayed at every thing from the chickens to the dogs and cats. this is a pic of the young hen from today. she was hatched summer of 09. that is the old hen to the left eating some bread.

26710_phot0053.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom